VoIP Gateway 19.99

Old March 30th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
misterroy

Default VoIP Gateway 19.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46125&doy=30m3

worth it?

cheers

Old March 30th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 30 Mar 2006 10:24:56 -0800, "misterroy"
wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46125&doy=30m3

worth it?

cheers

Not unless you want to keep your PC switched on all the time and be
confined to using Skpe. It isn't real voip just 'toy' voip.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 31st 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DMac

worth it?

Looks like it is just a sound card style device - ie computer needs to be on
for it to work.

For less that twice the price you can get a "proper" unit that does
everything in hardware - connects up via an ethernet
port and you plug a 'phone into it

Old March 31st 06, 03:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"misterroy" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46125&doy=30m3

worth it?

cheers

No. You might aswell buy a headset for a pound from your local pound shop.

Get a proper ATA which doesn't need to be plugged into a switched on
computer.

Alex

Old March 31st 06, 07:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
misterroy

thanks all
roy

Old March 31st 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

misterroy wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46125&doy=30m3

worth it?

cheers

I'd say it's worth it. It's exactly what I use, for the following
reasons:

1. It's cheap
2. It allows you to use multiple providers from one telephone,
depending on your softwares abilities, e.g if you use x-lite you can
have up to 10 providers, specifying the code used to route via each
provider
3. You can use it with software other than skype by downloading the
appropriate driver from www.yealink.com. e.g for x-Lite download
xTenMate.

The only thing is, you might not want your PC turned on all the time.
In that case, get a "proper" ATA. I didn't bother because I couldn't
find one that would let me do what I can with this device and x-Lite
without costing a fortune. My PC is on all the time anyway.