wireless voip - no pc

Old March 31st 06, 03:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
binza

Default wireless voip - no pc

Newbie question.

Is there a wireless Voip that can be used without the computer running?

Thanks

Old March 31st 06, 03:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

binza wrote:
Newbie question.

Is there a wireless Voip that can be used without the computer running?

Thanks

Yes, there are lots.
Old March 31st 06, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
binza

Thanks for your answer.
Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
Thanks again.

Old March 31st 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

binza wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
Thanks again.

Cisco do some, linksys has one, dlink don't have one yet Starcom do one.
IIRC Myson century have an SoC that is specifically designed for this
application, so you should see piles of cheap ones from chia at some stage.

Last I heard, they all suffered from poor battery life, Very soon there
will be some mobile phones available that also support WLANs (like the
nokia e series).

Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a dect phone.

Old March 31st 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
binza wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
Thanks again.

Cisco do some, linksys has one, dlink don't have one yet
Starcom do one. IIRC Myson century have an SoC that is
specifically designed for this application, so you should
see piles of cheap ones from chia at some stage.

Last I heard, they all suffered from poor battery life,
Very soon there will be some mobile phones available that
also support WLANs (like the nokia e series).

Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a
dect phone.

Which is what I do. The DECT phone is an extension off my analogue PABX
and is configured to ring for an incoming call on any line.

Ivor

PS to the OP could you not top post in this group please, thanks..!
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old March 31st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a dect phone.

....which is probably the most sensible option, as the frequency band used by
DECT phones is much less chaotic than the band used by WiFi phones, and
therefore less likely to drop out or suffering irritating intermittant
connection issues.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:00:59 up 1 day, 21 min, 3 users, load average: 0.38, 0.26, 0.28

Old March 31st 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

As a newbie to this I used viop for about 5 days before I bought a lynksys
pap2 hooked this upto my computer router, then my dect house phone, 12 hours
later and lots of help from the guys here (thank you), signed up with
sipdiscount and got a local 0121 number and now it works fine, free uk phone
calls.

Good look