VOIP Tutorial

Old March 31st 06, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Fred Atkinson

Default VOIP Tutorial

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good tutorial that explains VOIP 'in a
nutshell'.

The textbooks go into too much detail for my purposes. I am
looking for something that someone can read and come away with a basic
understanding of the technical detais of VOIP.

If you have any URLs and could send them my way, I'd really
appreciate it.

Regards,

Fred
Old March 31st 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick Ward

http://tinyurl.com/cnpbh

Old April 1st 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Ward

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:59:37 -0800, Nick Ward wrote:

Fred Atkinson wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to find a good tutorial that explains VOIP 'in a
nutshell'.

http://tinyurl.com/cnpbh

I would suggest wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoIP

Kind Regards
Stuart
http://wardrowntree.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Old April 4th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Fred Atkinson

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:20:09 GMT, Stuart Ward
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cnpbh

I would suggest wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoIP

Well, neither one of these explain the packet structure and
related technical information.

Do you konw of anything better than this?

Regards,

Fred
Old April 7th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Fred Atkinson wrote:

Well, neither one of these explain the packet structure and
related technical information.

Packet structure. That is one hell of a complicated question.

First, you need to decide which VoIP protocol you are interested in.
Viable options are SIP, IAX, H.323 and MGCP, plus a lot of proprietary
protocols usually based on one of those.

SIP is probably the most popular.

If you want to know all the details, then read RFC 3261. Not for the
faint hearted.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt

Also RFC 1889 - RTP - this is how the audio/video data is transmitted

And RFC 2327 - SDP - for describing the RTP sessions.

Tim

Old April 8th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:41:46 +0100, Tim Bray
wrote:

Also RFC 1889 - RTP - this is how the audio/video data is transmitted

And RFC 3551 for the A/V profile - it describes how the data for
various codecs are carried within RTP.

Old April 8th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

And RFC 3551 for the A/V profile - it describes how the data for
various codecs are carried within RTP.

I've never read that one before. You learn something everyday.

Bookmarked for reading another day.

Tim