Virgin.net and bad IP address ranges

Old April 1st 06, 06:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

Default Virgin.net and bad IP address ranges

I've just tried to connect a new customer of mine to Virgin.net broadband.
The modem installed fine, I got a good DSL sync and logged on but couldn't
get any application to work. I tried all the usual suspects even installing
the modem onto my laptop and in desperation called Virgin broadband
technical support. They stated that the the following IP address ranges
were 'bad' 82.25, 82.26 and 82.27.

They claimed that this was caused by BT extending their network with
advanced services and has being going on for some days and hence had quite a
few disgruntled customers.

They got me to disconnect and reconnect a few times to see if I could get a
good IP address dynamically allocated outside these ranges which I couldn't.
Ended up just having to wait until this was fixed by BT.

Am I being given a run around by Virgin (or NTL) customer support or is this
in fact true?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old April 1st 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

Thanks Pat. So that's interesting at least the story is consistent, but how
accurate is it?

I wonder if Tesco.net customers (also supported by NTL) are getting similar
problems and support excuses? Can anyone help with this?

Jonathan

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Jonathan,

I just wanted to add another two ranges that I was given by their
technical support:

86.31
86.27

BT was blamed but I too am cynical as to the cause. The symptoms I am
experiencing are similar although it only appears to affect http. I can
ping sites using both ip addresses and urls and I can connect to my
email service over pop3, I just can't browse any sites.

Virgin support also said that they have had customers with the same
issues that have been resolved in 24 hours but also have some that have
been waiting 2 months so there is already an inconsisteny between my
information and yours.

The only help the support lines could give me is to keep trying for a
different ip range by disconnecting and connecting.........I've been
trying off and on for 3 days........

Anyone out there with more network knowledge have any idea what's
really happening?

Cheers
Pat

Old April 1st 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hmm...as I've also still got my old Zyxel (similar model but without
wireless) with the exact same configuration,
I thought I'd get that out and have a go..logs on gets a WAN
IP..but...still no-go...exactly the same problem..

Back to the Speedtouch USB modem then for the time being..

I hope someone gets this sorted out quickly, my kids will be after me
shortly...

Jim.

Old April 1st 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

I first had the problem on Thursday evening. I can usually get on after
connecting and disconnecting a couple of times using a Belkin router/modem.

Rang Virgin twice and they tried hard to blame my equipment even when a
tracert was showing a problem at an NTL ip address.

Have to be fair and say up to recently Virgin Net has been faultless.

Ian

Old April 1st 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"Jonathan Eales" wrote in message
[...]

I'm on Virgin connected on an IP address in the 82.26 range without any
problems.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 1st 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

So was I until a couple of hours ago !

What are you using to connect ?

Jim.

Old April 1st 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Ah ha !

I'm back on with the router !

WAN IP is 82.14.68.x

I'm not going to turn the router off again in case I get the dreaded
82.2.x.x IP

Jim.

Old April 1st 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah ha !

I'm back on with the router !

WAN IP is 82.14.68.x

I'm not going to turn the router off again in case I get the dreaded
82.2.x.x IP

Jim.

Using Netgear DG834 router.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

When I can't get on the tracert to 194.168.4.100 (virgin) shows it gets
lost at 194.145.148.190 (ntl).I have tried to tell me this to Virgin
helpdesk but I think I lost them with "ping" and "tracert".

Anyway see what next week brings and although being a loyal Virgin
customer from the early days of dial-up there are plenty of other ISPs
out there now.

Ian

Old April 2nd 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Yeah I know what you mean regards the helpdesk, mind you its not always
that way, the guy I spoke to knew what he was on about.
He said that it was something to do with what BT were doing and nothing
to do with the Virgin/NTL network as such.

Mine still working this morning, though not as fast as usual..

I'm sure the bods at Virgin/NTL are aware..

Jim.