Skype with web cam

Old April 1st 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Slater

Default Skype with web cam

I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.

I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture is
grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
speed be the problem?

Any advice on an alternative camera spec would be greatly appreciated,

Brian.

Old April 1st 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Slater

"The Invalid" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:41:49 +0100, "Brian Slater"
wrote:

I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.

I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture
is
grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
speed be the problem?

Any advice on an alternative camera spec would be greatly appreciated,

Brian.

I have a 1Mag Broadband connection and it seems to work fine using an
old Logitech eyeball type of camera.
When on calls to Oz the received picture from my family can be a bit
slow but HEY ! Its free

Thanks for that. Could you say what the camera spec is eg how many pixels? I
just wonder if I've gone too low on the camera spec.
Brian.

Old April 1st 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bert

The darker it is in your room, the lower the pricture frame. get enough
light in to the camera.

Bert.

Old April 1st 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Brian Slater" writes:
I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.

I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture is
grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
speed be the problem?

I've not tried video over Skype, but I might speculate that the
problem could be bandwidth of the other Skype nodes (super nodes)
you are using. If you make your own system a super node by giving
it a real routable IP address, you might get a better result, but
you'll also end up relaying lots of phone calls from other Skype
users who are not using routable IP addresses -- that's how Skype
works.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old April 1st 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Slater

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Slater" writes:
[...]

That doesn't sound too attractive Andrew. Gosh this gets very technical, I
think I'll stick to tring to get better lighting, has anyone tried those web
cams with the LED lighting built in?
Brian.