Tesco VoIP is IAX based

Old April 1st 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Default Tesco VoIP is IAX based

If the toy USB phone with its echo and crappy iLBC / Speex 3.3kbytes/s
of bandwidth doesn't appeal you may like to know that Tesco VoIP is
IAX2 protocol via a server 202.148.48.108 registered to an Australian
provider. Username is the geographical phone number, password is the
one you set up on the website / soft phone. Proper codecs are supported
if you use an IAX2 IP phone or the like.

The soft phone is a variant of Firefly / Cubix
http://www.virbiage.com/cubix.php

As it's an IAX2 based service it uses a single port 4569 rather than
the more common SIP based services which use multiple ports.

Inbound geo number selection is not as comprehensive as for example
Sipgate and has a poor selection tool that lists the first 4 numbers
only (0178 for example). Calls 2p/min to 20 countries.
http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

Phil

Old April 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
value for money.
Fred.
oups.com...

Old April 1st 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"fred" wrote in message
o.uk
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old April 1st 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Ivor Jones wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
o.uk
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor

1.25p per min with BTBBT!

But of course... depends what your after... have to pay 'line' rental...
but get 'free' hardware.

Old April 1st 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Sean" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
o.uk
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was
very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
value for money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor

1.25p per min with BTBBT!

But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.

Ivor

Old April 1st 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Sean" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
o.uk
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was
very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
value for money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor

1.25p per min with BTBBT!

But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.

Ivor

Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT charge on Tesco's
2p perminute to Canada.
Fred.

Old April 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"fred" wrote in message
news
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Sean" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
o.uk
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty
good value actually. I made a call to Canada and
it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
excellent value for money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor
1.25p per min with BTBBT!

But of course... depends what your after... have to
pay 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges
are quoted with VAT applied, some (such as Gradwell's)
aren't. Ivor

Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT
charge on Tesco's 2p perminute to Canada.
Fred.

Is that no VAT charged on the call or no VAT quoted in your price..?
Sipgate's call charges are quoted inclusive of VAT.

Ivor

I was referring to BTBBT. Sipgate is still bett

Old April 2nd 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Walker

"fred" wrote in message
o.uk...
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
excellent value for money.
Fred.

This puts me off somewhat though:

Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?

A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet

:-)

Old April 2nd 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Rob Walker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
o.uk...
I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
excellent value for money.
Fred.

This puts me off somewhat though:

Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?

A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet

:-)

Heh :-).

Does anyone know why VAT is chargeable on calls made on a mobile on
contract, and charged on a landline subscription service (and voip
services both PAYG and subscription), but isn't charged on Pay as you Go
mobile vouchers. ?