A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Plusnet site and POP down?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 1st 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 218
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Henry Hooray wrote in message
:

"tx2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't collect POP3 nor load their portal site this afternoon. The
rest of the www and email is working OK. Am I to assume Plusnet are
"experiencing tecnhical difficulties"?

Please don't let these manifest into a network wide outage just as
the weekend approaches!


Plusnet had a problem, and they dealt with it.

They kept their users informed on their newsgroup.

This could have happened to anybody. It happened to Plusnet, and - as
I said - they dealt with it.

I don't know of a better alternative; in fact, overall I am quite
happy with Plusnet. This incident is certainly no reason to play
precious and start looking elsewhere.


The problem was exacerbated by the fact that their portal server (the one
that allows access to Service Status) was affected by the power outage -
either directly or simply by being overloaded by all the people trying to
find out what had happened.

After trying several times in fairly rapid succession to read my email,
getting "failed to contact server" responses, I presumed that something
pretty major had happened, so I looked on the portal. This was either giving
no response on portal.force9.net.uk or else was letting me part of the way
in but gave no response as I tried to look at service status.

Fair enough. They'd obviously got Big Problems: I kept trying, but less
frequently - like every hour or so.

Finally at about 18:30 I got into Service Status and found out what had
happened, so I posted to uk.comp.home-networking - surprisingly no-one else
had already done this.


I suppose the two lessons that Force 9 / PlusNet need to learn from this
(which, as you say, could have happened to anyone) a

- Why did their UPS fail to provide backup power for the fairly short time
that the mains was off? Do they test the UPS periodically by simulating a
power cut to make sure that it works reliably when needed?

- When anything takes down the portal and/or service status server, they
need to have the ability to redirect requests to portal.force9.net.uk etc to
another server which simply displays a single page "We've had a power cut.
Email servers are down and the portal is heavily overloaded. We expect to
have this fixed by HH:MM", rather than simply blocking public access to the
portal.


I'd forgotten all about the PlusNet news group. What is the group name?

Of course, using news groups does rely on their news server still working -
which on this occasion it was, but I hope they have a plan for keeping
people informed if news goes down as well.


  #2  
Old April 1st 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 95
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Martin Underwood wrote:

Of course, using news groups does rely on their news server still working -
which on this occasion it was, but I hope they have a plan for keeping
people informed if news goes down as well.



They already do. They will send service status announcements to an
e-mail address other than a PlusNet one, if you wish. Just subscribe to
another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845 ones) and direct the
announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have a
fall-back internet access as well.

--
Howard Neil
  #3  
Old April 1st 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Howard Neil wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

Of course, using news groups does rely on their news server still
working - which on this occasion it was, but I hope they have a plan
for keeping people informed if news goes down as well.



They already do. They will send service status announcements to an
e-mail address other than a PlusNet one, if you wish. Just subscribe
to another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845 ones) and direct the
announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have a
fall-back internet access as well.


How do you get them to send service status announcements? I've never seen
anything that allows you to subscribe to this. I've got another non-PlusNet
address which they use for any communications such as replying to tickets or
for telling me if I've gone over my 2GB download limit.

I've thought of suggesting to them that it would be a good idea if they sent
emails to warn of service problems; now it seems that they do it anyway -
but I don't know how to sign up for it.


  #4  
Old April 2nd 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

On 1 Apr 2006 22:27, "Martin Underwood" wrote:

How do you get them to send service status announcements? I've never seen
anything that allows you to subscribe to this.


See http://usertools.plus.net/ and look at the bottom entry in the box
on the upper right side... email and RSS options should help. Peter M.

--
A few GB a month (at up to 8000 kbps) for 14.99 ? Yes!
See http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 I'm happy to save cash!
  #5  
Old April 2nd 06, 08:14 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Plusnet site and POP down?


"Howard Neil" wrote in message
...
| Martin Underwood wrote:
|
|Just subscribe to another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845 ones) and direct
the
| announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have a
| fall-back internet access as well.
|

If you need to do that because the ISP is that unreliable it's time to go
elsewhere.
Why is it whenever there is a major ISP outage it's nearly always plusnet/f9 and
it's nearly always avoidable.


  #6  
Old April 2nd 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Grimly Fiendish
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Plusnet site and POP down?


"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
...

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
...
| Martin Underwood wrote:
|
|Just subscribe to another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845 ones) and
direct
the
| announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have a
| fall-back internet access as well.
|

If you need to do that because the ISP is that unreliable it's time to go
elsewhere.
Why is it whenever there is a major ISP outage it's nearly always
plusnet/f9 and
it's nearly always avoidable.

That statement is rubbish imo, i have customers on NTL who have been
without internet access for weeks at a time, and people on Freeserve/Wanadoo
how have had similar compliants more often, i am very satisfied with
Plusnets service, this is the first time i've seen any real problem and it
was fixed in a day or two which is quite good considering what happened,
what is it with people these days that they take so much pleasure in being
negative and slagging everyone off when things don't go quite right ?


  #7  
Old April 2nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 95
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Grimly Fiendish wrote:
"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
...
"Howard Neil" wrote in message
...
| Martin Underwood wrote:
|
|Just subscribe to another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845 ones) and
direct
the
| announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have a
| fall-back internet access as well.
|

If you need to do that because the ISP is that unreliable it's time to go
elsewhere.
Why is it whenever there is a major ISP outage it's nearly always
plusnet/f9 and
it's nearly always avoidable.

That statement is rubbish imo, i have customers on NTL who have been
without internet access for weeks at a time, and people on Freeserve/Wanadoo
how have had similar compliants more often, i am very satisfied with
Plusnets service, this is the first time i've seen any real problem and it
was fixed in a day or two which is quite good considering what happened,
what is it with people these days that they take so much pleasure in being
negative and slagging everyone off when things don't go quite right ?



The big difference is that PlusNet are open and honest about their
difficulties. I used to be with NTL but never again. When they had an
outage they just kept everything to themselves and, I presume, hoped
nobody would notice. I find PlusNet's attitude very refreshing although
there are those who use it as a stick to beat them with.

--
Howard Neil
  #8  
Old April 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 363
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Howard Neil wrote:
Grimly Fiendish wrote:
"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
...
"Howard Neil" wrote in message
...
Martin Underwood wrote:

Just subscribe to another ISPs pay as you go account (the 0845
ones) and
direct
the
announcements to your secondary e-mail address. You also then have
a fall-back internet access as well.


If you need to do that because the ISP is that unreliable it's time
to go elsewhere.
Why is it whenever there is a major ISP outage it's nearly always
plusnet/f9 and
it's nearly always avoidable.

That statement is rubbish imo, i have customers on NTL who have been
without internet access for weeks at a time, and people on
Freeserve/Wanadoo how have had similar compliants more often, i am
very satisfied with Plusnets service, this is the first time i've
seen any real problem and it was fixed in a day or two which is
quite good considering what happened, what is it with people these
days that they take so much pleasure in being negative and slagging
everyone off when things don't go quite right ?


The big difference is that PlusNet are open and honest about their
difficulties. I used to be with NTL but never again. When they had an
outage they just kept everything to themselves and, I presume, hoped
nobody would notice. I find PlusNet's attitude very refreshing
although there are those who use it as a stick to beat them with.


You are right Howard, although they are not always immediately up front when
there is a problem they do usually eventually acknowledge problems. I have
however long wondered if they really do have more problems than other,
possibly better, ISPs or if this is just an impression given by their
acknowledgement of problems. I have come to the conclusion that they do
have more problems than some other ISPs. I base this on the perceived
levels of criticism in their newsgroups and forums, in similar for some
other ISPs and in more public newsgroups and forums. Plusnet are however
cheaper than most of my comparison ISPs so perhaps it is just a question of
getting what you pay for.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

What matters in politics is not what happens, but what you can make people
believe has happened. [Janet Daley 27/8/2003]


  #9  
Old April 2nd 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Plusnet site and POP down?


Howard Neil wrote:

The big difference is that PlusNet are open and honest about their
difficulties.


So are many sex offenders and peodophiles but it does not make it any
more palaetable. Plusnet is just so mickey mouse. Power failure last
month, power failure this month. I wonder is mum unplugging the plusnet
server when she hoovers up???? If you think being honest about
incompitence means it's ok to accept it then that is your choice.

I used to be with NTL but never again. When they had an
outage they just kept everything to themselves and, I presume, hoped
nobody would notice.


Come on! NTL, Christ they have come it in Which as the worst ISP and
even have a spoof website 'nthell' - is that not a big enough clue!!!

I find PlusNet's attitude very refreshing
although there are those who use it as a stick to beat them with.


I find it laughable which is why I left them and don't look back.
I used to love their half sarcastic answers to tickets whilst they tried
to be clever and the threats of charges for moving elsewhere. bless em,
and they can't even get a UPS or Generator system to work properly. I
see that as a stick they need to be beaten with to knock some ****ing
basic common sense into them.
  #10  
Old April 2nd 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 95
Default Plusnet site and POP down?

Old Codger wrote:

You are right Howard, although they are not always immediately up front when
there is a problem they do usually eventually acknowledge problems. I have
however long wondered if they really do have more problems than other,
possibly better, ISPs or if this is just an impression given by their
acknowledgement of problems. I have come to the conclusion that they do
have more problems than some other ISPs. I base this on the perceived
levels of criticism in their newsgroups and forums, in similar for some
other ISPs and in more public newsgroups and forums. Plusnet are however
cheaper than most of my comparison ISPs so perhaps it is just a question of
getting what you pay for.


I'm sure you are right about getting what you pay for. Most of the
complaints on their newsgroups (present company excepted) have been from
very heavy users who have had their activities curtailed. These
customers have been very bitter but I have not seen the same problems as
them.

As you know, from elsewhere, I am looking at other ISPs for when my
local exchange is Broadband enabled (it just seems a good time for a
review of who I do business with rather than any particular problems).
My needs are quite modest and, while there seem to be other excellent
ISPs (Zen, Nildram, etc) out there, I cannot see what they would provide
that PlusNet doesn't at the moment. Therefore, no action seems to be the
most likely course that I will take. However, I have not stopped this
review yet, so would still welcome any other thoughts.


--
Howard Neil
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plusnet site and POP down? tx2 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 45 April 5th 06 07:03 PM
Good hardware site to site VPN devices ? Doz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 January 24th 06 01:18 PM
PlusNet Wap Site? Kimball K Kinnison uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 January 2nd 04 08:56 PM
Advice on site to site connection and internet access Jaime uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 24th 03 04:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.