Connecting 2 netowrks

Old April 2nd 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bal

Default Connecting 2 netowrks

Hi Folks,

I have two networks at home each connected to their own ADSL modem/router.
Sticking another NIC in one of the PCs isn't an option as I have no spare
slots is there any other way of getting them to the see either network?

Not interested in sharing/bonding the ADLS lines just want all computers to
be able to see each others LAN resources.

Thanks in advance

Bal

Old April 2nd 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Bal" wrote in message
g.com...
I have two networks at home each connected to their own ADSL
modem/router. Sticking another NIC in one of the PCs isn't an option as I
have no spare slots is there any other way of getting them to the see
either network?

Yes. Although you say you are "not interested in sharing/bonding" the basic
idea is the same as if you were. Have a look at the following thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....se_frm/thread/
c51a369747f4b6be/3b48626e8d0b43ac?#3b48626e8d0b43ac

(Shortened URL: http://tinyurl.com/qfzvq

If you can't see how to apply that to your needs, a few more details would
help. For instance, do you use DHCP at all? You will need to disable the
DHCP server on one (or both) of the routers, and manually configure some (or
all) machines.

Alex

Old April 2nd 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bal

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Bal" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

Thanks Alex, found a solution which I didn't think would work. As I couldn't
put a second NIC in my machine I did the next best thing created a wireless
link to the other ADSL Modem/Router and this in effect has "bridged" the 2
networks without an adverse effects. The ADSL continues to work as seperate
entity on both networks but with the advantage of the main PC that has the
wireless card also able to use either ADSL connection but obviously not both
at the same time. Getting great speeds too as the wireless USB key is right
next to the router it's connecting too. Of course the bridge is only there
when the main PC is on but by as I only need access to both networks from
that one PC by default it will not be an issue when it isn't on.

Cheers

Bal

Old April 2nd 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Bal" wrote in message
g.com...
[snip]
Thanks Alex, found a solution which I didn't think would work. As I
couldn't put a second NIC in my machine I did the next best thing created
a wireless link to the other ADSL Modem/Router and this in effect has
"bridged" the 2 networks without an adverse effects.

You mean you have two network connections (one wired, one wireless)? If they
are in fact bridged, then you have achieved the same effect as wiring the
two routers together, except slower and with the requirement that the PC is
on. This means the same problems if the DHCP servers are enabled and used on
both routers.

If the connections are not bridged, and it seems to work, then you got
lucky. In any case, you won't be able to access PCs only on one network from
PCs only on the other network.

Alex

Old April 2nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bal

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Bal" wrote in message
g.com...
[snip]
[...]

Up until this point all network connections were wired to there individual
routers eg. PC 1 to Router 1 and PC2 to Router. What I have done now is
connect PC 1 to Router 2 via a wireless connection and is assigned it's own
IP address in the Router 2 range while also keeping the IP address for
Router 1 for the wired connections. DHCP is switched on for both routers and
as far as I can tell there is no conflict, IP ranges are different anyway
for both routers. Speed does not seem to be an issue, I have one of the
newer routers which allow up to 108mbps and as the PC and router are right
next to each other it is achieving the max transfer rate. So far so good.

Cheers

Bal