Noise on handset when ADSL has synched (continued)

Old April 2nd 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Noise on handset when ADSL has synched (continued)

Hi All,

OK, well I thought I'd wait a week or so, perhaps get some replacement
up to date handsets, the ones we have a,though being BT are a number of
years old, so things may have changed at bit in the last ten years or
so ? maybe's...?

Anyway..

New BT handsets fitted, a BT Duet 60 and a Studio 1100 Twin, nice
phones..

Hmm...still the same..as soon the DSL light has synched and gone solid
I hear this ssssssssssshhhhhhhh noise on the telephone handsets..

If I turn off the router then the noise goes instantly.
Its not the routers, I've tried three different routers and two
different USB ADSL modems all with the same results.
Its not the microfilters, I've tried four different types in all the
sockets.

As you may know from my previous post I've dosconnected everything from
the master socket and just run from there...still the same.

I've not reported anything to BT yet as I haven't really had time to
get involved with them, though I'm off work this week and may give that
a go..

I've read a bit about having a proper filtered master socket.
The master socket that I have isn't an NTE5 type..its smaller and says
PCS on it ?
Its been in the house since we moved in around ten years ago..

Anyone any ideas as to what PCS means ?

Say Kraftee, are you a BT engineer ?

Jim.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:
[...]

Can't help you with the PCS (it probably is a 2/2a but I can't be sure
without seeing it) but it does sound as if you're suffering from a
H(igh) R(esistance) connection on your line. You appear to have to
typical symptons & the only problem will be getting a Openreach
engineer to site who is willing to deal with this (very) grey area.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Here are the two sockets..which is the master socket ?

http://www.jdrsmith.co.uk/telco/telco.htm

The line from the pole comes into our upstairs bedroom and into a small
junction box.

From here there are two exiting cables, one line going into the top box

in the pictures upstairs.

The second cable exits the junction box and goes downstairs into the
bottom box in the pictures.

I'm not entirely sure that this ought to be wired like this, what do
you think ?

Have spoken to BT this morning, won't bore you with the details needles
to say that I ended up speaking to some of our old colonial friends in
Mumbai bt the sound of things.

It all smacks of filtering, but I've put filters in all the sockets and
changed them numerous times.

Does the wiring look correct to you ?

Jim.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Seems you can get all kinds of microfilters..

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

I've ordered one of their top of the line filters, it'll be here in a
few days...see how that fares..
Appears to have fixed issues for a number of people with similar
problems to me..

Jim.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here are the two sockets..which is the master socket ?

http://www.jdrsmith.co.uk/telco/telco.htm

The line from the pole comes into our upstairs bedroom and into a small
junction box.

From here there are two exiting cables, one line going into the top box

in the pictures upstairs.

The second cable exits the junction box and goes downstairs into the
bottom box in the pictures.

I'm not entirely sure that this ought to be wired like this, what do
you think ?

Have spoken to BT this morning, won't bore you with the details needles
to say that I ended up speaking to some of our old colonial friends in
Mumbai bt the sound of things.

It all smacks of filtering, but I've put filters in all the sockets and
changed them numerous times.

Does the wiring look correct to you ?

Jim.

Looks like you have non standard cable, in fact you`re using odd legs to the
extension, this could well be the cause of your problem. Order some cable
from adslnation together with a terminating tool, look here to see the type
of cable and where to terminate. Also both jacks are main i/c terminating
jacks, cut out the large capacitor on the second jack.
http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php
Fred

Old April 3rd 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
Here are the two sockets..which is the master socket ?

http://www.jdrsmith.co.uk/telco/telco.htm

They are both master sockets, they both have ring capacitors and opt out
of service resistors. The secondary socket should not have these. The only
difference is that one of them (the lower in your picture) is a PABX
master, it doesn't have the surge suppressor present on the other one.

The incoming two wire cable from the line *should* go direct to the master
socket, then the three wires to the extension socket should run from
there. Whoever installed this didn't do it very well, I can't believe BT
would wire up anything like this, maybe it was the previous occupant..? A
picture of the inside of the junction box you mention would be useful.

Ivor

Old April 3rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

The Simpsons wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Here are the two sockets..which is the master socket ?

http://www.jdrsmith.co.uk/telco/telco.htm

The line from the pole comes into our upstairs bedroom and into a
small junction box.

From here there are two exiting cables, one line going into the
top box

[...]

Not neccesarily a non standard cable, some of the old ones literally
are 1 leg colour, 1 leg white, agree on the odd legs being used
though. Also they have a master (2/1a) & a 'system' master (2/2a)
this could cause problems & as it sounds as if it's star wired from
the block in the window so there is another problem.

They do sound as if they have got a right bag of mashings at that end
but DON'T talk to BT direct about it, talk to your ISP. If you did
get an Openreach engineer to site yourself the chances are extremly
high they will not be ADSL trained & all they would do is test the
phone & charge you for the benenfit of them saying it's ok. All ADSL
faults need to be raised by the ISP...

Old April 3rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ivor Jones wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
Here are the two sockets..which is the master socket ?

http://www.jdrsmith.co.uk/telco/telco.htm

They are both master sockets, they both have ring capacitors and
opt out of service resistors. The secondary socket should not have
these. The only difference is that one of them (the lower in your
picture) is a PABX master, it doesn't have the surge suppressor
present on the other one.
The incoming two wire cable from the line *should* go direct to the
master socket, then the three wires to the extension socket should
run from there. Whoever installed this didn't do it very well, I
can't believe BT would wire up anything like this, maybe it was the
previous occupant..? A picture of the inside of the junction box
you mention would be useful.

Ivor

It coukd have been done by BT in the old days of plan 1a etc & just
has never been uplifted/upgraded since, Just this morning I went ape
at a colleague as he had wired up an extension as a 1 pair because he
needed to use the other to get another line there. The affect of me
saying something was a strug of the shoulders & a muttered well it
works so even today the older engineers could resort to placing
mutiple masters on a line because it just works..

Old April 3rd 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

kráftéé wrote:

s it sounds as if it's star wired from
the block in the window so there is another problem.

Out of interest, why do you consider that a problem - more susceptible
to noise maybe?. As long as pins 2, 3 and 5 are connected in parallel
between all the sockets then I wouldn't think it matters where the line
is connected.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old April 3rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Bartholomew wrote:
kráftéé wrote:

s it sounds as if it's star wired from
the block in the window so there is another problem.

Out of interest, why do you consider that a problem - more
susceptible to noise maybe?. As long as pins 2, 3 and 5 are
connected in parallel between all the sockets then I wouldn't think
it matters where the line is connected.

It's generally recognised, in the field & in some of the early more
thorough training before the powers that be dumbed it all down, that
star wired circuits are more susceptable to noise break thru (via the
bell wire).