Connecting a PC and Laptop?

Old April 2nd 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Craig Davies

Default Connecting a PC and Laptop?

How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

Old April 2nd 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

What OS on each?

What interfaces do they have already? e.g. Ethernet ports, USB etc

Easy to answer if we know what you already have.

Old April 2nd 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Craig Davies

"John Steele" wrote in message
"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

What OS on each?

What interfaces do they have already? e.g. Ethernet ports, USB etc

Easy to answer if we know what you already have.

Sorry,
The laptop and PC both have USB Ports but only the PC has Ethernet port.
The PC does not have a NIC
The OS running on both is Windows XP Home Edition

Old April 2nd 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Craig Davies

"Craig Davies" wrote in message

"John Steele" wrote in message
"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

What OS on each?

What interfaces do they have already? e.g. Ethernet ports, USB etc

Easy to answer if we know what you already have.

Sorry,
The laptop and PC both have USB Ports but only the PC has Ethernet port.
The PC does not have a NIC
The OS running on both is Windows XP Home Edition

My mistake the Laptop has Windows XP Professional

Old April 2nd 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stand Up Old

"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

USB to USB data transfer cable.......about 10.

Old April 2nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James

"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

Is this setup intended for a single use, or for regular use?
Are you wating it to be wired or wireless?

James

Old April 2nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Craig Davies wrote:

"John Steele" wrote in message
"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

What OS on each?

What interfaces do they have already? e.g. Ethernet ports, USB etc

Easy to answer if we know what you already have.

Sorry,
The laptop and PC both have USB Ports but only the PC has Ethernet port.

Really no Ethernet on the laptop?

The PC does not have a NIC

It does if it has an Ethernet port.

The better solution is to get a PC Card NIC for the laptop, and connect
the two with a crossover UTP cable. You could also use a USB NIC on the
laptop with a crossover UTP cable, or a USB data transfer cable between
the two, but USB is a bit crap for networking (unlike Firewire, which is
quite good).
Old April 2nd 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Craig Davies wrote:
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What
do I need?

How much do you need to move and how often?

Easiest may be to just buy a USB memory stick
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old April 2nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stand Up Old

"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

then we have forgot the Null Modem cable method but you will need serial
ports on each comp for that...........yes I know its slow but they did ask.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
Stand Up Old wrote:

"Craig Davies" wrote in message
How do you connect a PC and Laptop together to transfer files? What do I
need?

then we have forgot the Null Modem cable method

Maybe it's best forgotten :-)