Moving from NTL to Nildram...Wap54g

Old April 2nd 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HermanToothrot

Default Moving from NTL to Nildram...Wap54g

Now that my local exchange has been maxxed (!) I thought I would ditch
my 2Mb line provided by NTL. So I need to get an ADSL Modem - preferably
Wireless and preferably one that I can use with my existing WAP54G to
extend the range across this big old stone house.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? Or will I have to ditch the
WAP54g? I assume that I will have to....but someone out there may have
previous experience that may contradict this.

If you do know, please reply here!

Thanks in advance,
H.
Old April 2nd 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Apr 2006, HermanToothrot wrote:

Now that my local exchange has been maxxed (!) I thought I would ditch
my 2Mb line provided by NTL. So I need to get an ADSL Modem - preferably
Wireless and preferably one that I can use with my existing WAP54G to
extend the range across this big old stone house.

I suggest you use Google http://groups.google.com/ because linking up
an existing WAP to an ADSL router is not (apparently) much fun - given
a number of past questions on this here or in uk.comp.home-networking
(sorry, I'm just using cables here, and while I've helped friends to
get their homes using wireless, I have to say results are 'mixed').

--
A few GB a month (at up to 8000 kbps) for 14.99 ? Yes!
See http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 I'm happy to save cash!
Old April 2nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

poster wrote:
On 02 Apr 2006, HermanToothrot wrote:

Now that my local exchange has been maxxed (!) I thought I would
ditch my 2Mb line provided by NTL. So I need to get an ADSL Modem
- preferably Wireless and preferably one that I can use with my
existing WAP54G to extend the range across this big old stone
house.

I suggest you use Google http://groups.google.com/ because
linking up an existing WAP to an ADSL router is not (apparently)
much fun - given a number of past questions on this here or in
uk.comp.home-networking (sorry, I'm just using cables here, and
while I've helped friends to get their homes using wireless, I have
to say results are 'mixed').

Funny I've done such a thing at this end with little or no problems at
all & I'm not a networking trained engineer.

My problem comes when I introduce a firewall box into the mix which
always locks up my Cisco 837.

If you read the instructions & think about what you're doing you
should have very little trouble linking a WAP to a router, remember
you only need one DHCP server (if that) & it would be best if it was
the router.