Mac Code is it for life???

Old April 2nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
spammerbin

Default Mac Code is it for life???

Hi,

I plan on getting the Mac code to migrate to another ISP, is that Code for
life at the exchange so I can use the same code if I want to swap ISP
later???

Cheers

Old April 2nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nemesis

"spammerbin" wrote in message
Hi,

I plan on getting the Mac code to migrate to another ISP, is that Code for
life at the exchange so I can use the same code if I want to swap ISP
later???

nope, its valid for 30 days. You'll have to get a new after that time.

Old April 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:29:52 +0100, "spammerbin"
wrote:

Hi,

I plan on getting the Mac code to migrate to another ISP, is that Code for
life at the exchange so I can use the same code if I want to swap ISP
later???

No - it is only valid for a short period.

Regards,
Harry.

Old April 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DayDragon

nemesis wrote:
I plan on getting the Mac code to migrate to another ISP, is that Code for
life at the exchange so I can use the same code if I want to swap ISP
later???

nope, its valid for 30 days. You'll have to get a new after that time.

Could i ask a stupid question..... Why is that?

I thought the MAC code that you get is the particular card in the
box/gateway you are connected to at the exchange, if so why would it
change (unless they had to replace something or upgrade (downgrade)
something?)

If not what is the MAC Code?
Old April 3rd 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

DayDragon wrote:

: I thought the MAC code that you get is the particular card in the
: box/gateway you are connected to at the exchange, if so why would it
: change (unless they had to replace something or upgrade (downgrade)
: something?)

No the "Migration Authorisation Code" is obtained from some BT system by
the current ISP when they believe that there is no reason (such as within
minimum period) why someone cannot migrate. The new ISP can present it back
to BT to indicate that the current ISP has validated the transfer.

The ADSL line used to be (and probably still is) indentified by BT by a
different code - a CBUK one this time.
Old April 4th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

Could i ask a stupid question..... Why is that?

I thought the MAC code that you get is the particular card in the
box/gateway you are connected to at the exchange, if so why would it
change (unless they had to replace something or upgrade (downgrade)
something?)

If not what is the MAC Code?

Hi Daydragon

You are confusing a network adaptors MAC address with a MAC code.

A MAC address is a "Media Access Control" address, a hardware address that
uniquely identifies each node of a network

A MAC code is a "Migration Authorisation Code". This allows ISP's to
transfer ADSL users with a minimum of disruption of service. You ask your
current ISP for a MAC code when changing to a new one. You then give this
code to your new ISP.

A MAC code is normally valid for 30 days.

Steve
Unlimited ADSL from just 16.99 per month!
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:

Old April 4th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:01:28 UTC, "Steve @ Aceinternet"
wrote:

Could i ask a stupid question..... Why is that?

I thought the MAC code that you get is the particular card in the
box/gateway you are connected to at the exchange, if so why would it
change (unless they had to replace something or upgrade (downgrade)
something?)

If not what is the MAC Code?

Hi Daydragon

You are confusing a network adaptors MAC address with a MAC code.

Actually, I think he's confusing it with the CBUK code - which
identifies the line. I vaguely recall that the CBUK code was used for a
sort of similar purpose to the MAC (not the 'MAC Code').

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 4th 06, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

Actually, I think he's confusing it with the CBUK code - which
identifies the line. I vaguely recall that the CBUK code was used for a
sort of similar purpose to the MAC (not the 'MAC Code').

Oops - it's getting late - I missed the "at the exchange" part ;-)

Old April 4th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DayDragon

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
DayDragon wrote:

: I thought the MAC code that you get is the particular card in the
: box/gateway you are connected to at the exchange, if so why would it
: change (unless they had to replace something or upgrade (downgrade)
: something?)

No the "Migration Authorisation Code" is obtained from some BT system by
the current ISP when they believe that there is no reason (such as within
minimum period) why someone cannot migrate. The new ISP can present it back
to BT to indicate that the current ISP has validated the transfer.

The ADSL line used to be (and probably still is) indentified by BT by a
different code - a CBUK one this time.

Thanks all for your replies... Typical, you get used to one acronym then
they go and use it for something else ;o)

DD
Old April 4th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

DayDragon wrote:

nemesis wrote:
I plan on getting the Mac code to migrate to another ISP, is that Code
for life at the exchange so I can use the same code if I want to swap ISP
later???

nope, its valid for 30 days. You'll have to get a new after that time.

Could i ask a stupid question..... Why is that?

The Migration Authorisation Code is a one-time [well, 30-day] key used by
your new ISP [ie the one that you're migrating to] to prove to BT Wholesale
that the migration order is genuine. It's the BBIP number of your circuit
with a few random digits tacked on the end. It's required so that
unscrupulous ISPs can't just migrate your service without your knowledge or
consent. To be honest, I'm not sure why BT have so many different ways of
identifying an individual circuit [NXIP, BBIP, CBUK, Directory Number,
etc].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:07:58 up 3 days, 3:56, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.13, 0.37