Beginner VoiP questions

Old April 2nd 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default Beginner VoiP questions

1. Is Skype the best bet because many ordinary people are familiar with
it?

2. Can an ATA adapter and a spare DECT phone be used with Skype?

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

4. Would an ATA adapter work with a Netgear DG834 wired router?

5. Is there any point in using VoIP for calls abroad to normal phones,
rather than using a dial-through company like Telestunt?

6. Are there better questions I should be asking?!
--
Chris
Old April 2nd 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]
1. Is Skype the best bet because many ordinary people are
familiar with it?

No. Skype uses a proprietary protocol which is not compatible with
anything else. It's ok if you only ever call other people on Skype and you
don't mind leaving a computer on all the time, but otherwise, forget it.

2. Can an ATA adapter and a spare DECT phone be used with
Skype?

No, see above.

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

Just about anything.

4. Would an ATA adapter work with a Netgear DG834 wired
router?

Yes.

5. Is there any point in using VoIP for calls abroad to
normal phones, rather than using a dial-through company
like Telestunt?

That depends on your usage pattern. If the person you are calling is also
using VoIP, then the call is free..! The cost of calling different
countries varies from provider to provider, for example www.sipgate.co.uk
charge 1.5p/min for calls to the USA, but there are cheaper options. For
my level of usage though it's acceptable.

Using VoIP also means you effectively have a second 'line' so while you
are on that call to the USA or wherever your main line is still free to
accept incoming calls, or an additional outgoing call.

6. Are there better questions I should be asking?!

Some more detailed information on what you expect from VoIP would be
useful. What is it you want to do..?

Also try looking on the various forums that are around on the net.
www.voxilla.com is a good place to start.

Ivor

Old April 2nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:37:18 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Just about anything.

Apart from Sipgate .

To the OP, take no notice of the resident anti-Sipgate troll. Judge for
yourself whether you think they are ok or not.

Ivor

Old April 2nd 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:21:28 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

1. Is Skype the best bet because many ordinary people are familiar with
it?

No

2. Can an ATA adapter and a spare DECT phone be used with Skype?

No

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

Is there anything that isn't? Skype is dead easy to install. That's
its advantage. Its only advantage, as far as I can see.

4. Would an ATA adapter work with a Netgear DG834 wired router?

Yes

5. Is there any point in using VoIP for calls abroad to normal phones,
rather than using a dial-through company like Telestunt?

Yes

6. Are there better questions I should be asking?!

Ask yourself what you want, then find the best way to achieve it,
rather than looking at solutions and working out a problem to fit
them.
Old April 2nd 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve @ Aceinternet

1. Is Skype the best bet because many ordinary people are familiar with
it?

No, only if you only ever want to call other people on Skype, and only if
other Skype users want to call you.

2. Can an ATA adapter and a spare DECT phone be used with Skype?

No, but you can use any SIP or IAX provider though. Skype can only be used
via it's own software. Ignore the media hype - VOIP is not Skype - Skype is
a type of VOIP that is used by a minority.

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

All "normal" types of VOIP - take a look at sipgate -
http://www.sipgate.co.uk as a very good start, or for free UK and some
worldwide destinations http://www.voipstunt.com

4. Would an ATA adapter work with a Netgear DG834 wired router?

Yes

5. Is there any point in using VoIP for calls abroad to normal phones,
rather than using a dial-through company like Telestunt?

Yes, in particular using Voipstunt (same company?), who are free.

6. Are there better questions I should be asking?!

Yes, Can anyone give me a good reason for using Skype ;-)

Sorry, I could not resist - Skype use a system that is not compatible with
any other VOIP service. Most other VOIP proviers try and make is as simple
as possible to contact people on other VOIP services.

Steve
Unlimited ADSL from just 16.99 per month!
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:

Old April 2nd 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Chris wrote:

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

SIP.
(to point out the really obvious)

Because it is all open standards. There are lots of SIP providers, lots
of choice of equipment and lots of people doing it.

Tim
Old April 3rd 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Slater

"Tim Bray" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

3. Is there anything that is better than Skype?

SIP.
(to point out the really obvious)

Because it is all open standards. There are lots of SIP providers, lots
of choice of equipment and lots of people doing it.

Tim

I'm using Skype (in a limited way at the moment, only calling one person)
but I took the Sipgate tour and noticed that they don't do conference calls
and there is no mention of video. Skype covers both of these!

For me the conference facility is useful as having a two computer network,
two can be involved in the call. We can also show ourselves and objects
while talking.

I also notced that Sipgate did not recommend two accounts connected to one
router,

Brian.

Old April 3rd 06, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:05:28 +0100, "Brian Slater"
wrote:

I'm using Skype (in a limited way at the moment, only calling one person)

That's not really using it, then, is it? When you start using it
properly, you will soon realise its limitations.

but I took the Sipgate tour and noticed that they don't do conference calls

SIP VOIP does this. Whether one of the many hundreds of providers
offers it is not significant. That's part of the point. With Skype you
are stuck with the one provider, their prices and their service.
Though of course you can do conference calls through Sipgate.

Remember that your type of use of Skype (computer-computer) does not
need the equivalent of Sipgate at all with SIP: you can connect from
one SIP VOIP device direct to another as long as you know its hostname
or IP.

and there is no mention of video.

No, most people don't want video on their phones. The vast majority of
telephones don't do video calls.

Skype covers both of these!

No, it covers peer-peer calls, but there is no voice or conferencing
on the poor quality Skype In or Skype Out, and the conference
facilities are rudimentary once you leave the nerd-nerd peering.

For me the conference facility is useful as having a two computer network,
two can be involved in the call. We can also show ourselves and objects
while talking.

I think you'd be better off using Neetmeeting.

I also notced that Sipgate did not recommend two accounts connected to one
router,

Sorry, you've lost me with that one. Accounts connected to a router?
Old April 3rd 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Slater

news
wrote:

[...]

Looks like I was wrong about two accounts on one router... quote " How
do I configure two or more SIP terminals (phones) in a network?

In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one
router, you must make the following configuration changes. ......" (Sipgate
tour)

I think you are wrong regarding video, I'm working in family mode and
I have spoken to several (Skype) users who say that they use video to see
their distant family members.

Skype seems to be useful for families. It needs no special equipment,
is easy to install and as I'm using the (nerd to nerd) peer connection,
works well,

Brian.