Are Pipex slowing p2p?

Old April 2nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

Default Are Pipex slowing p2p?

Hi,

recently (past three days) my bittorrent client has been maxing at 30k when
it usually uses all of my 1mb download speed. Torrents are well seeded
(purely legal stuff though guv!). Nothing has been changed regarding
settings in Azureus, settings on the router or hardware. Doesn't matter if
it is one torrent or a number of torrents, the 30k is shared between them. I
have smiley faces all round on the status too.

I can however max out my download speed when downloading through http/ftp.
The speed checker at adsl guide states I have full speed too.

Could Pipex be "managing my traffic" for p2p only? I have tried adjusting
the port used to a different one above 49152 (which is not on the Trojan
list!) but no changes.

I have asked for a MAC code anyway as they won't upgrade me to 2Meg for the
same price without a 12 month contract so I am going back to AOHell for
14.99 a month for 1meg with no 12 month contract as I have my own modem
(10 better in my pocket per month and I don't _have_ to use their software)

Any thoughts?

-halli-

Old April 2nd 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"-halli-" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried turning on the encryption feature in the latest Azureus?
This will get past your ISP' throttling.

Dan

Old April 2nd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richards

-halli- wrote:
Hi,

I have asked for a MAC code anyway as they won't upgrade me to 2Meg for the
same price without a 12 month contract so I am going back to AOHell for
14.99 a month for 1meg with no 12 month contract as I have my own modem
(10 better in my pocket per month and I don't _have_ to use their software)

Any thoughts?

Yes, they are a gready bunch of ****s and I make no apology for my
language. Takes them five days to answer an email and they are always
looking for extra ways to rape the customer for a few . I asked
abount usenet access,they told me that was 'extra', I asked about
leaving them as it was 'no yearly contract' they told me 'You still have
to pay 54 to leave early'. I ask if I can have a static IP. They tell
me thats another 30 a year. I ask if I can upgrade, you guessed it,
ching ching ching.

I wish I had gone with Zen. Boy do I.
Old April 2nd 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Daniel Richards:
-halli- wrote:
Hi,

I have asked for a MAC code anyway as they won't upgrade me to 2Meg
for the same price without a 12 month contract so I am going back to
AOHell for 14.99 a month for 1meg with no 12 month contract as I
have my own modem (10 better in my pocket per month and I don't
_have_ to use their software) Any thoughts?

Yes, they are a gready bunch of ****s and I make no apology for my
language. Takes them five days to answer an email and they are always
looking for extra ways to rape the customer for a few . I asked
abount usenet access,they told me that was 'extra', I asked about
leaving them as it was 'no yearly contract' they told me 'You still
have to pay 54 to leave early'. I ask if I can have a static IP.
They tell me thats another 30 a year. I ask if I can upgrade, you
guessed it, ching ching ching.

I wish I had gone with Zen. Boy do I.

Nearly all ISPs have introduced such measures due to the way BT changed
their pricing structure.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 2nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Daniel" wrote in message

"-halli-" wrote in message
[...]

I have 2.3.0.6 will update to the latest one and will give it a go.

-halli-

Old April 2nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Daniel Richards" wrote in message
. ..
-halli- wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Don't hold back now, say what you mean!

I am pleased that I have been with them for over a year now. Can't wait to
be free!

-halli-

Old April 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Daniel" wrote in message

"-halli-" wrote in message
[...]

Have done it, which settings do you use? I am still maxing at 24k now as I
was just before the upgrade and restart. Suppose I should give it a bit
longer to bed in.

-halli-

Old April 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lois

Daniel Richards ] said
-halli- wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Why do some people expect a free ride and then get abusive when they are
asked to pay their own way? Upbringing I guess....
Old April 2nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Daniel" wrote in message

Have you tried turning on the encryption feature in the latest Azureus?
This will get past your ISP' throttling.

Daniel, what does DHT firewalled refer to? It is a message on the taskbar of
the new version of Azureus. I have the port open for both TCP and UDP in my
router's special applications firewall section. BTW up to 34k now - Woo
Hoooo!

-halli-

Old April 3rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"Daniel" wrote in message

"-halli-" wrote in message
[...]

This link may help concerning "DHT firewalled"

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/474252.html

I don't have that problem so I can't be more help. Encryption works best on
popular torrents as more people are likely to have the feauture turned on.
Have you tried experiementing with the encryption settings? For example
turning off "allow non encrypted protocols" and having a minimum encryption
level of RC4. Also, have you forwarded the ports in your router settings?

Regarding AOL from the comments I've read, providing you don't use their
software are actually good! In my opinion you could do alot worse than AOL.
They seem to be more "unlimited" then the other ISP's lately.

Oh, and are the torrents slow all the time? I'm not clued up on Pipex's
traffic management but with Plusnet during off-peak hours (midnight-4pm) all
protocols are unrestricted on their premier accounts.

Dan