Using BT Voyager 2100 with AOL silver

Old April 3rd 06, 11:33 AM
drunknmunky drunknmunky is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Using BT Voyager 2100 with AOL silver

***Sorry this should have been posted in the 'home networking' forum, but I can't seem to post new threads there!!***

OK, if you've registered with AOL but want some sort of LAN/Home network WITHOUT paying the stupid 24.99 a month then here's some useful INFO!!

My dad bought a BT Voyager 2100 router since my sister got a wireless laptop. PC World suggested it. However, not only were we stumped by the cost of setting up an LAN at home with AOL, but the router was apparently no longer compatible with AOL.

I found out that downloading a firmware update from the BT website:
http://www.voyager.bt.com/2100/downloads.htm
Made the router compatible with AOL, but still could not access the web. The username and password were not working.

I finally found ou that the username you use is your AOL email ) and the password MUST be between 6 and 8 characters. If your using a 9 or more character password with AOL, the program only reads the first 8 characters, so you must only insert these as the password.

Doing that, you're sorted. You can set up a network through a main computer and, since all outbound information goes through that computer, then it only comes up as 1 IP address so AOL don't have a clue!

I did a bandwidth test using a FireFox extension with the supplied AOL BT voyager 105 and the BT voyager 2100 we bought:

Voyager 105: 48.7 kilobytes/sec
Voyager 2100: 578.4 kilobytes/sec

A HUGE improvement!!