Line keeps dropping!

Old April 3rd 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Harding

Default Line keeps dropping!

Suggestions please of likely cause of line keep dropping?

Old April 3rd 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:08:02 UTC, "Michael Harding"
wrote:

Suggestions please of likely cause of line keep dropping?

1) You're not filtering EVERY piece of equipment on the line (apart from
the ADSL router/modem, of course)
2) One of your filters is faulty

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 3rd 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Michael Harding wrote:
Suggestions please of likely cause of line keep dropping?

Faulty filter
Faulty extension wiring
Sky digibox interference
Faulty telephone line.
Timeout setting on the router maybe.

Before calling a line fault you need to check your own equipment otherwise
BT will charge you a call out fee. Put the adsl into a filter into the
master socket with nothing else attached to it and see if the line drops.
if it does then try another filter. If it is not dropping, then one by one,
add your own equipment back to the line and check each one. When you are
sure that its not your own equipment then call BT engineers (assuming its a
BT line).
Is there a pattern to the line dropping? Is it when people call you or you
make a call? Is it every X minutes? Or is it just random?

Old April 3rd 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

" When you are
sure that its not your own equipment then call BT engineers"

you call your ISP. They will take you through some diagnostics and
(eventually) report it to BT as faulty.

Phil

Old April 5th 06, 04:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

"Michael Harding" wrote in message
Suggestions please of likely cause of line keep dropping?

BT are busy upgrading most exchanges for ADSL MAX, during this upgrade time
its quite normal for loss off connection, ie line dropping. My own exchange
was very busy the past week doing this upgrade work, causing me numerous
lost connections and even prolonged loss of connection. This finally
finished on 1/4/06 in the afternoon, since then I have not suffered any
further dropped connections. The normal aspiration for BT is to have most
exchanges prepared for ASDSL MAX by 31/3/06.

Hope this helps, as I suspect many other people have seen similar problems
due to this BT upgrade work, and still more will see it as they attempt to
complete this work.

Joe

Old April 7th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Technophobe

check that you have the latest software on your router.
I had the same thing and discovered that I was several upgrades away
according to the Netgear site.

After upgrading all was cleared.

Dave