Cable/ADSL

Old April 3rd 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazza

Default Cable/ADSL

Hi all,
Have NTL cable but since they have pi***d me of i have reconnected my
BT line and subscribed to ADSL.
I wish to compare both over a period of 3 months (min contract for adsl,
fs2, without paying connection charge)
I have disabled DHCP from the adsl router/modem and connected into my
existing router which also has the cable modem linked in, I have fixed
ip address's on all equipment.
I can access the internet through the ADSL modem by changing the gateway
and dns in network connections but cannot find an easy way to switch
between the two without going back in and changing the network
connection settings.
Is there an easy way to switch between the two connections? could i
install another network card into the PC, plug it into the router and
create another connection, one for adsl and one for cable? i assume i
would have to disable/enable each connection as required.

Bazza
Old April 3rd 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 03 Apr 2006 19:55, Bazza wrote:

Is there an easy way to switch between the two connections? could i
install another network card into the PC, plug it into the router and
create another connection, one for adsl and one for cable? i assume i
would have to disable/enable each connection as required.

Depends a bit on what version of Windows you use, and what you want to
do (switching traffic on a temporary or permanet basis is an option on
Windows XP, but not for Windows 9x AFAIK).

You can use simple "ROUTE ADD" commands to switch gateway from one to
other for traffic. With NTL on 10.0.0.100 and ADSL on 10.0.0.200 you
will have one gateway as the default (eg 10.0.0.100) but for either a
particular address range, or for all traffic, you can select the ADSL
by entering "ROUTE ADD ip address {mask mask} gateway " which
would be "ROUTE ADD 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.200" (all traffic)
or just "ROUTE ADD 212.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.200" for a small
range or "ROUTE ADD ip 10.0.0.200" for a single IP address.

eg ROUTE ADD 217.163.8.200 10.0.0.200 for a particular service (which
in this case is the WRN North American stream from a European server)

--
A few GB a month (at up to 8000 kbps) for 14.99 ? Yes!
See http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 I'm happy to save cash!
Old April 3rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nig

Bazza wrote:

Is there an easy way to switch between the two connections? could i
install another network card into the PC, plug it into the router and
create another connection, one for adsl and one for cable? i assume i
would have to disable/enable each connection as required.

I use this at jbex to great effect, as I often have to change networks:

http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/

Or you can use Windows built-in Netsh but it's not so intuitive. You can
get netsh from the command line.
Old April 4th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazza

poster wrote:
[...]

Running XP pro
Most of my equipment use fixed ip's in the range 192.168.123.***, a
couple of laptops and pda use dhcp via wireless
The usr router is *.254, cable modem is linked into this
The adsl is *.191, plugged into the usr.
Looking at the above I assume that i could create a batch file to switch
between connections (will have to put on my thinking cap, long time
since i played with dos)

cheers

Bazza
Old April 4th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 04 Apr 2006, Bazza wrote:

Looking at the above I assume that i could create a batch file

Yes. Just remember to put the ROUTE DELETE commands in, too !

Old April 4th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Nig" wrote in message
Bazza wrote:

Is there an easy way to switch between the two connections? could i
install another network card into the PC, plug it into the router and
create another connection, one for adsl and one for cable? i assume i
would have to disable/enable each connection as required.

I use this at jbex to great effect, as I often have to change networks:

http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/

Or you can use Windows built-in Netsh but it's not so intuitive. You can
get netsh from the command line.

Get back to your shed!