voip which provider ?

Old April 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
brit-dub

Default voip which provider ?

Help needed for a complete novice.

Things I need it to do:

A reliable service

I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
a normal local number without a area code ?)

To able to use it without my pc being on.

It would also be nice to be able to forward calls to my mobile so I don't
miss calls.

The one that temps me is sipgate at the moment.

Any other advice very welcome.

Regards

Brit

Old April 3rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

"I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"

like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.

Phil

Old April 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

brit-dub wrote:

I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
a normal local number without a area code ?)

Other people can call you like it is any other number.

Tim
Old April 3rd 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"PhilT" wrote in message
ups.com...
"I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"

like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.

Phil

I read the question as "do *they* need to dial all the digits", so would
someone in the 01604 area code need to dial 01604 before being connected to
the OP's 01604 VOIP line. If this is the case then no, all a user on the
PSTN needs to do is call the 6-digit number.

A standard landline user in area code 01604 would only need to dial the last
6 digits of your number. If you were to call them however from your phone,
you would have to dial 01604 as the provider doesn't know what area code
your adapter resides! (Well, technically it does, but they don't implement
anything like that). The only way for you to have something like that would
be to get an ATA adapter that supports dial plan, eg a Sipura, where if it
recognises you dial a number 3xxxxx, it will prefix it with 01604 *before*
it sends the request out to a provider (eg sipgate), so will request
01604-3xxxxx from your provider. Sipgate wouldn't process a request without
an area code, so it is made in the ATA before the request gets sent out
(therefore ATA specific, not provider specific).
However this isn't what I interpreted you were asking, I was merely
explaining where the answer before mine came from.

Alex

Old April 3rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
brit-dub

"Alex" wrote in message

"PhilT" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi Alex

thanks for your reply, that's a perfect answer, sorry my question was not
very clear.

ok one more question, if a bt landline was to call me XXXXXX without the
01604 what would the cost be to them ? is it the same price as if they were
calling another local number ? or are there hidden charges to the caller ?

thanks

Brit

Old April 3rd 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh brit-dub:

Alex

Hi Alex

thanks for your reply, that's a perfect answer, sorry my question was
not very clear.

ok one more question, if a bt landline was to call me XXXXXX without
the 01604 what would the cost be to them ? is it the same price as if
they were calling another local number ? or are there hidden charges
to the caller ?
thanks

Brit

It would be BTs usual cost for calling 01 and 02 numbers, remember BT
(residential) charges the same rate for national as it does for local.

On BT Together 1

BT charge 3p/min daytime to 01 and 02 numbers.

5.5p for up to an hour evenings and weekends to 01 and 02 numbers.

As your Sipgate number is an 01 number then that is the rate you pay, as you
would if you called another BT number, NTL number, Telewest number.....

Old April 3rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

PhilT presented the following explanation :
"I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"

like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.

Phil

Freetalk does not require you to dial all the digits for same area code
calls. In Edinburgh I just dial the 7 digit number.

Old April 3rd 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

on 03/04/2006, brit-dub supposed :
Help needed for a complete novice.

Things I need it to do:

A reliable service

I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
a normal local number without a area code ?)

To able to use it without my pc being on.

It would also be nice to be able to forward calls to my mobile so I don't
miss calls.

The one that temps me is sipgate at the moment.

Any other advice very welcome.

Regards

Brit

www.freetalk.co.uk may answer your requirements. I know you do not need
to dial all the numbers for local calls.

Old April 3rd 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

explained on 03/04/2006 :
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:55:32 +0100, ACDeag
wrote:

www.freetalk.co.uk may answer your requirements. I know you do not need
to dial all the numbers for local calls.

Yep Freetalk and Vonage are the only ones where you do not need to
dial all the numbers to make a local call , you get what you pay for I
suppose .

Can that behaviour be altered? - what if you live in one area & have a
VoIP number for a different STD?

It would be really frustrating to not be able to set your local area
yourself!