Wireless to ethernet adapter?

Old April 4th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Lordy

Default Wireless to ethernet adapter?

[X-Posted]

I have a mainly wireless network. I'd like to hook up some ethernet only
equipment to it (but not to the main router which is too far away).
[A HP Printserver and a Sun Ultra 60]

I assume the inverse of a 'wireless access point' exists, to connect wired
devices to a wireless network. What is it called?

I dont mind if it has a wired hub or more interestingly is a single unit
that can be plugged straight into an ethernet port (not know how that
would be configured though!)

eg.

Internet--Wireless Router--Wireless Lan--[????]--Wired Devices.

I want the '????' bit and I dont want to connect the wired devices direct
to the router/switch because that would involve running long ethernet
cables defetating the object of the wireless Lan.

I would prefer a small consumer unit of some kind rather than using a PC.

Any ideas?

Lordy
Old April 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Lordy

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:18:04 +0000, Lordy wrote:

[X-Posted]

I have a mainly wireless network. I'd like to hook up some ethernet only
equipment to it (but not to the main router which is too far away). [A HP
Printserver and a Sun Ultra 60]

I assume the inverse of a 'wireless access point' exists, to connect wired
devices to a wireless network. What is it called?

Ah found it.. Googled 'wireless ethernet bridge'

Lordy
Old April 4th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Linker3000

Lordy wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:18:04 +0000, Lordy wrote:

[X-Posted]

I have a mainly wireless network. I'd like to hook up some ethernet only
equipment to it (but not to the main router which is too far away). [A HP
Printserver and a Sun Ultra 60]

I assume the inverse of a 'wireless access point' exists, to connect wired
devices to a wireless network. What is it called?

Ah found it.. Googled 'wireless ethernet bridge'

Lordy

Netgear WGPS606 - nice unit; I have one hosting a Brother Laser on one
of the two USB ports, a PlayStation 2, Laptop and VoIP Phone - it
provides a bridge to the Wireless Access Point upstairs.
Old April 4th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rob Walker

"Lordy" wrote in message
news
[...]

I use a Dlink 2000AP+ access point to do this. Only down side is that it
only has 1 port on it so you'd either neet one for each device or a
hub/switch to plug into it.

Rob