BT Broadband Software?

Old April 4th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

Default BT Broadband Software?

BT Broadband Option 1

Voyager 210 connected via USB

Is it necessary to install the BT log on/connection software or are the
router drivers enough? I've got a friend's PC here, which became unstable
when all the BT/Yahoo crap was installed from the setup CD. Internet
Explorer and the router management software wouldn't load and the BT
connection software would freeze immediately upon loading. This is on a
clean install of Win 98.

I've removed most of it, leaving behind the router drivers and router
management software. I can now access the router config page from both
Internet Explorer via 192.168.1.1 and from the router management software.

So, should this be enough to actually get online or do you have to actually
use the BT connection software to 'sign in' first?

Thanks

Old April 4th 06, 05:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

I've removed most of it, leaving behind the router drivers and router
management software. I can now access the router config page from both
Internet Explorer via 192.168.1.1 and from the router management software.

So, should this be enough to actually get online or do you have to actually
use the BT connection software to 'sign in' first?

Thanks

Why prat around with USB, use the ethernet connection and you dont have to
worry about drivers.

Dave

Old April 4th 06, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

John wrote:
BT Broadband Option 1

Voyager 210 connected via USB

Is it necessary to install the BT log on/connection software or are the
router drivers enough? I've got a friend's PC here, which became unstable
when all the BT/Yahoo crap was installed from the setup CD. Internet
Explorer and the router management software wouldn't load and the BT
connection software would freeze immediately upon loading. This is on a
clean install of Win 98.

I've removed most of it, leaving behind the router drivers and router
management software. I can now access the router config page from both
Internet Explorer via 192.168.1.1 and from the router management software.

So, should this be enough to actually get online or do you have to actually
use the BT connection software to 'sign in' first?

I use a Voyager 2100 and don't use the BT software at all, works fine.
I can't recall having to load any drivers. I run XP and use an ethernet
connection.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 4th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"The Caretaker" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

I have one of the older voyager 205 and don't run the BT software, runs fine
for me, When I go on the home page I notice a message notifying me that I
am not running the software, so I assume it's just there so BT can monitor!
When I first ran BT broadband I used the software and all that happened,
everytime the adsl service took a flakey you got a pop-up, 'we have noticed
a problem with your broadband service can we run a diagnostic check' etc.
reinstalled the hard disc forgot to run the software , haven't noticed any
difference! it all runs perfectly...

Des

Old April 4th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Des" wrote in message

I have one of the older voyager 205 and don't run the BT software, runs
fine for me, When I go on the home page I notice a message notifying me
that I am not running the software, so I assume it's just there so BT can
monitor!
When I first ran BT broadband I used the software and all that happened,
everytime the adsl service took a flakey you got a pop-up, 'we have
noticed a problem with your broadband service can we run a diagnostic
check' etc. reinstalled the hard disc forgot to run the software , haven't
noticed any difference! it all runs perfectly...

Des

Thanks for the replies. I'll be taking the PC back to the friends house
tomorrow, so hopefully it'll connect up ok.

Old April 7th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephanjs

My suggestion to you is to ditch the 98 and switch to XP. It has plug
and play for ethernet and USB. Besides, when 98 was designed, they did
not cater for todays BB.

--
stephanjs
Old April 8th 06, 04:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 7 Apr 2006 22:59, stephanjs wrote:

My suggestion to you is to ditch the 98 and switch to XP. It has plug
and play for ethernet and USB. Besides, when 98 was designed, they did
not cater for todays BB.

Easier to just forget USB and use a router via an ethernet connection
as there's Opera, Firefox, and plenty of good software working fine for
Win 98 users. USB is the source of many problems, and when it comes to
switching to 8 Mbps, a router will be ideal for the BTw testing that is
done to determine the speed you get with DSL Max. A router will also
act as a firewall, in case you want to test something and need to turn
your own software firewall off for a while. (Don't ever do that, kids,
if you have a USB modem - you leave your connection open to the world!
Try the Shields Up! test over at www.grc.com if you don't believe me!)