BTBroadband - ftp problem

Old April 4th 06, 05:39 PM
Jamie Jay Jamie Jay is offline
Junior Member

Default BTBroadband - ftp problem

Hi

I currently have BT Broadband and have been with the service for a while now.

I produce a radio show which is uploaded to a server via ftp, the file size is about 110mb.

It has uploaded with no problems since I have started doing this (every week for 5 months) and this week I am encountering a problem. When I try to upload it gets to about 65mb and then it just fails.

To try and fix this I identified what could be wrong:

(a) The actual file
(b) The FTP program
(c) The server being uploaded too
(d) The internet connection

(a) I re-created the file, tried uploading and this also failed.

(b) I tried 3 different programs, ftpsurfer, smartftp and dreamweaver's built in ftp and they all failed.

(c) I took the file to a friend's house and the same laptop to upload to the server and it worked fine.

so this left me with the problem being (d).

I have used the internet quite a lot over the last month and thought I may have been 'limited' to uploading by BT Broadband for going over their caps, so contacted them to check this. They claim they would have limited it and it should be fine.

I am at a loss as to what to do other that move isps, which in reality I do not want to do. I have tried it on 3 different evenings and have had the same problem

Does anyone know if it could be my isp stopping the upload?

The only other thing I could think of is the wireless router but it has worked fine over the past 5 months and I have not touched any of the settings!
Old April 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

--
Jamie Jay

There has been a problem with the FTP server since Friday. It is being
looked into apparently or so BT say.

Check out bt.broadband.support or bt.internet.users.broadband.technical on
the BT news server for more info

Old April 5th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

"Nicola Redwood" writes:

There has been a problem with the FTP server since Friday. It is being
looked into apparently or so BT say.

Check out bt.broadband.support or bt.internet.users.broadband.technical on
the BT news server for more info

That should be irrelevant. The OP did not say that the file is being
uploaded to BT's FTP server, and in any case the upload worked from
the same laptop using a different internet connection. This makes it
extremely unlikely to be a problem with the FTP server.
Old April 5th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Jamie Jay wrote:
Hi

I currently have BT Broadband and have been with the service for a
while now.

I produce a radio show which is uploaded to a server via ftp, the file
size is about 110mb.

It has uploaded with no problems since I have started doing this
(every week for 5 months) and this week I am encountering a problem.
When I try to upload it gets to about 65mb and then it just fails.

Just a thought from someone who hardly knows anything about such things, but
could you have used up all your storage allowance on your server?

Tim

Old April 5th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Jamie Jay wrote:
Hi

I currently have BT Broadband and have been with the service for a
while now.

I produce a radio show which is uploaded to a server via ftp, the file
size is about 110mb.

It has uploaded with no problems since I have started doing this
(every week for 5 months) and this week I am encountering a problem.
When I try to upload it gets to about 65mb and then it just fails.

Just a thought from someone who hardly knows anything about such things,
but could you have used up all your storage allowance on your server?

Hell of a coincidence then that it stops working the same week that for the
first time in years BT's FTP goes belly up.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 5th 06, 01:25 PM
Jamie Jay Jamie Jay is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Downie
Jamie Jay wrote:
Hi

I currently have BT Broadband and have been with the service for a
while now.

I produce a radio show which is uploaded to a server via ftp, the file
size is about 110mb.

It has uploaded with no problems since I have started doing this
(every week for 5 months) and this week I am encountering a problem.
When I try to upload it gets to about 65mb and then it just fails.

Just a thought from someone who hardly knows anything about such things, but
could you have used up all your storage allowance on your server?

Tim
The storage is huge on the server I am uploading too and I always delete the 110mb file from the week before and replace with the new one.

I have a feeling that it is the BT connection I am on and when the file size is big, it gets to a certain point and the account is then forced to stop the ftp.

I think the easiest thing is to move ISP's but finding one that is suitable is the next thing.
Old April 6th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:25:13 +0100, [Jamie Jay] said :-

Tim Downie Wrote:
Jamie Jay wrote:-
[...]

You don't say who you friends ISP is.

Also, you've had one problem in 5 months, why should this
automatically make you assume that it's the ISP ?

There are just so many areas that can go wrong with upload of such a
large file.
Old April 7th 06, 07:21 PM
Jamie Jay Jamie Jay is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin Dryer

Tim Downie Wrote:
Jamie Jay wrote:-
[...]

I have 3 friends I have used, Tiscali, BT and Talk Talk.

I have had the problem with my account every time I have tried in the past month.