Answerphone

Old April 4th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woggle

Default Answerphone

Thanks so much for your help getting me setup.

I am taking things in stages but yet a few more questions I'm afraid!!

Have setup Sipura SPA 3000 with voip.co.uk.

Things are working fine although earlier today when I tried to call out
to my wife's mobile there was no dial tone. So I gave up, cancelled the
call and then strangely she had a couple of rings on her mobile before
it stopped - some sort of lag. Could this be down to the fact that I've
only got a 1Mbps speed internet at the moment?

The other thing is that I've requested from voip.co.uk to use my normal
PSTN number - still being processed. At the moment, when someone tries
to ring my PSTN number it rings fine on the phone but does not ring
through to voicemail (either 1571 or voip.co.uk). After a few rings it
changes to a different ringing tone and then after a couple more rings
stops and you get a long continuous buzz.

Am getting there slowly - your thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks again!

Old April 5th 06, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Woggle wrote:

Thanks so much for your help getting me setup.

I am taking things in stages but yet a few more questions I'm afraid!!

Have setup Sipura SPA 3000 with voip.co.uk.

Things are working fine although earlier today when I tried to call out
to my wife's mobile there was no dial tone. So I gave up, cancelled the
call and then strangely she had a couple of rings on her mobile before
it stopped - some sort of lag. Could this be down to the fact that I've
only got a 1Mbps speed internet at the moment?

Your internet speed is not likely to be the cause. It's more probably a
registration issue (what've you got the registration interval set to?) or
even something at their end. Be patient though, calls may take longer to go
through.

The other thing is that I've requested from voip.co.uk to use my normal
PSTN number - still being processed. At the moment, when someone tries
to ring my PSTN number it rings fine on the phone but does not ring
through to voicemail (either 1571 or voip.co.uk). After a few rings it
changes to a different ringing tone and then after a couple more rings
stops and you get a long continuous buzz.

This is nothing to do with you requesting that voip.co.uk use your normal
PSTN number - all they will do with it is present it to people you ring.
Any inbound call to your PSTN number will then come in on your PSTN.

Old April 5th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin Collett

At the moment, when someone tries
to ring my PSTN number it rings fine on the phone but does not ring
through to voicemail (either 1571 or voip.co.uk). After a few rings it
changes to a different ringing tone and then after a couple more rings
stops and you get a long continuous buzz.

This sounds like your SPA300 is answering the PSTN line and making a gateway
connection to VOIP. Check in the config, 'PSTN Line' tab, 'PSTN-To-VoIP
Gateway Setup'. If it's set to yes then, after the delay set in 'PSTN Answer
Delay' the SPA will answer an incoming PSTN call and forward it out over the
PSTN Line voip account. If the delay is too short then neither BT or
voip.co.uk answering machine will have time to kick in. I turned the PSTN to
VOIP gateway off in mine whilst I was figuring out how to set it up.
Martin

Old April 5th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woggle

Thanks the registration was set to 3600 so after running a search and
finding that the recommended time was 90 I set it to that.

PSTN-To-VOIP was checked yes. I've set that to no and it rings straight
through to the answerphone. Is it a case of changing the settings in
PSTN Answer delay until I get the right setting?

Thanks

Old April 5th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Woggle wrote:

Thanks the registration was set to 3600 so after running a search and
finding that the recommended time was 90 I set it to that.

PSTN-To-VOIP was checked yes. I've set that to no and it rings straight
through to the answerphone. Is it a case of changing the settings in
PSTN Answer delay until I get the right setting?

Thanks

You need PSTN-VOIP set to yes, otherwise calls from the PSTN side won't be
passed to Line 1. (Unless power is off, there is no direct connection
within the device between PSTN & the handset you have plugged into Line 1.)

Try (on PSTN tab) setting Ring through to Line 1 to yes
whilst setting PSTN Answer delay to a high value.
Old April 5th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woggle

Ok,

I changed back PSTN-VOIP to yes, Ring through to Line 1 to yes and PSTN
answer delay to 50 (previously 16). Phone goes directly to home
answerphone but not to voip.co.uk answerphone. It seems that calls on
PSTN line aren't being re-routed to voip and voip answerphone (voip
answer delay is set to 0).

Outgoing calls definately work ok.

Old April 5th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Woggle wrote:
Ok,

I changed back PSTN-VOIP to yes, Ring through to Line 1 to yes and PSTN
answer delay to 50 (previously 16). Phone goes directly to home
answerphone but not to voip.co.uk answerphone. It seems that calls on
PSTN line aren't being re-routed to voip and voip answerphone (voip
answer delay is set to 0).

Outgoing calls definately work ok.

It will never go to the VoIP answerphone, because it is not VoIP.

Old April 5th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Sean" wrote in message

Woggle wrote:
Ok,

I changed back PSTN-VOIP to yes, Ring through to Line 1
to yes and PSTN answer delay to 50 (previously 16).
Phone goes directly to home answerphone but not to
voip.co.uk answerphone. It seems that calls on PSTN
line aren't being re-routed to voip and voip
answerphone (voip answer delay is set to 0). Outgoing calls definately
work ok.

It will never go to the VoIP answerphone, because it is
not VoIP.

This is correct. Are you expecting calls on your PSTN line to be answered
by the voicemail system that answers calls on the VoIP line..? Not going
to happen, you try putting an ordinary answering machine on a line and
getting it to answer and record *outgoing* calls and you'll see what
you're not going to be able to do..!

Ivor

Old April 8th 06, 05:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin Collett

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Sean" wrote in message

[snip]

It will never go to the VoIP answerphone, because it is
not VoIP.

This is correct. Are you expecting calls on your PSTN
line to be answered by the voicemail system that answers
calls on the VoIP line..? Not going to happen, you try
putting an ordinary answering machine on a line and
getting it to answer and record *outgoing* calls and
you'll see what you're not going to be able to do..!
Ivor

PS if you want the same answering system to answer both numbers, put an
ordinary machine on the phone port and forget voicemail.

Ivor

I use a Gradwell virtual centrex account. Under the SPA 3000 'User 1' tab I
enter 'Cfwd No Ans Dest:' , 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:'
20. This routes unanswered PSTN calls directly to my sip voicemail.
Unanswered sip calls are answered by the same sip voicemail after the delay
in the gradwell control panel. This gives one voicemail answering PSTN and
sip calls.
Martin

Old April 8th 06, 07:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Martin Collett" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[snip]

PS if you want the same answering system to answer both
numbers, put an ordinary machine on the phone port and
forget voicemail.

I use a Gradwell virtual centrex account. Under the SPA
3000 'User 1' tab I enter 'Cfwd No Ans Dest:'
, 'Cfwd No Ans Delay:' 20. This routes
unanswered PSTN calls directly to my sip
voicemail. Unanswered sip calls are answered by the same
sip voicemail after the delay in the gradwell control
panel. This gives one voicemail answering PSTN and sip
calls.

I'm aware of the Gradwell system, but good as it is, it is somewhat
expensive for a domestic as opposed to business user. A simple answering
machine will do what the OP wants.

Ivor