Netgear DG834G error statistics?

Old April 6th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Chard

Default Netgear DG834G error statistics?

Hi,

Is there any way to get the Netgear DG834G to give you statistics for
errors on the ADSL line? The closest I can get is doing an ifconfig in
debug mode, which tells me there are no errors, but I'm not sure whether
to trust it.

Thanks
- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Old April 6th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

On mine you can't even get line loss and DB figures. **** Poor in my view.

Old April 6th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message

"Ian Chard" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Is there any way to get the Netgear DG834G to give you statistics for
| errors on the ADSL line? The closest I can get is doing an ifconfig in
| debug mode, which tells me there are no errors, but I'm not sure whether
| to trust it.

On mine you can't even get line loss and DB figures. **** Poor in my view.

Are you sure about this. I have a DG834 and at the bottom of the Router
Status page is the Show Statistics link with all that info.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 6th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Sucuba Dude wrote:
: On mine you can't even get line loss and DB figures. **** Poor in my view.

You must be many generations out on the firmware then! It has done that for
years.
Old April 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Chard

Sucuba Dude wrote:
Last time I updated the firmware on it it worked intermittently for about a
month and then died.
All attempts to revive it failed and back it went. I am in the position where I
have the netgear on on line and a Linksys WAG354G on the other.
Guess which on causes me agrovation and which one is solid as a rock and has not
even been rebooted in months. Here is a BIG clue, It's NOT the Netgear.....

I think you've been very unlucky. I have a DG834G at home and two at
remote sites at work, and none of them have ever given me any trouble.
I've even updated the firmware remotely (not recommended, but I'm too
lazy to go out and do it locally!), with no problems at all.

The only reservation I have, as I've said, is that you can't get error
statistics out of the thing.

- Ian

Old April 8th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Ian Chard wrote in message
:

Sucuba Dude wrote:
Last time I updated the firmware on it it worked intermittently for
about a month and then died.
All attempts to revive it failed and back it went. I am in the
position where I have the netgear on on line and a Linksys WAG354G
on the other.
Guess which on causes me agrovation and which one is solid as a rock
and has not even been rebooted in months. Here is a BIG clue, It's
NOT the Netgear.....

I think you've been very unlucky. I have a DG834G at home and two at
remote sites at work, and none of them have ever given me any trouble.

Agreed. I've got a DG834GT (108 Mbps version of DG834G) and I've never had
to reboot it. I've occasionally disconnected it when testing it on another
person's line to identify whether they've got a duff line or a duff router,
but apart from that it's up 24/7. It's currently been up for 1379 hours
(WAN/Ethernet/Wireless).

I've installed about 30 DG834Gs over the past year. I've only had problems
with two: one kept dropping the connection exactly 40 seconds after
authenticating, then reconnecting, authenticating and (40 seconds later)
dropping out - this was cured by upgrading to the V3 firmware; the other
router occasionally locked up and displayed no lights, which even a brief
power off/on didn't cure, although leaving the power off for about 10
minutes did - this was duff hardware (as diagnosed by Netgear when the
customer returned it under warranty).

Nowadays I upgrade the firmware on every DG834 that I install as a matter of
course to avoid the first problem. The second one was just duff hardware.

Of the three routers that I typically work with (Netgear DG834G/GT, Linksys
WAG54G and Dlink G604), the user interface on the Netgear is very
straightforward and the one on the Dlink always seems counter-intuitive;
several times I've had a Dlink revert to old settings after making a config
change despite saving the settings and rebooting the router.

The worst router I've ever encountered was a BT one (BT1800 or some such
model number) that a customer was supplied with when he ordered BT
broadband; the instructions told you to use a poxy Windows app to set it up,
rather than using a web interface, and the Windows app didn't work. I knew
to try browsing to the router's gateway address to find the web interface,
but many people wouldn't have known to try that. Having configured it, its
DHCP server was very unreliable - often PCs that were connected by wireless
failed to get an IP address, so I had to configure them all with static IPs.
Connections kept dropping out: typically a PC would show excellent signal
strength but nothing was pingable. After I'd spent several hours (spread
over a couple of weeks) trying to sort out the problem for the customer, I
advised him to cut his losses and get a Netgear. This has worked flawlessly
ever since.

Old April 14th 06, 03:12 PM
alu alu is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Chard
Is there any way to get the Netgear DG834G to give you statistics for
errors on the ADSL line?
On the DG834G only: cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats
On the DG834GT/GTB: /usr/sbin/adslctl info --stats

Perhaps that helps. (Thanks to the Bulldog User Group)
Old April 18th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Chard

alu wrote:
Ian Chard Wrote:
Is there any way to get the Netgear DG834G to give you statistics for
errors on the ADSL line?

On the DG834G only: cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats
On the DG834GT/GTB: /usr/sbin/adslctl info --stats

Perhaps that helps. (Thanks to the Bulldog User Group)

Ooh, superb, lots of information. Thanks!

- Ian