Asus and Westell Router

Old April 6th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

Default Asus and Westell Router

"JH" wrote in message
| Anyone care to comment on this?
|
| 2) I can get them to communicate by allocating IP addresses manually, but
| would it be better to get the ASUS router to do this dynamically?

No. It depends what floats your boat. I prefer to set manual DNS, IPs and
Gateways myself.
It makes matters easier in my view.

Old April 7th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"JH" wrote in message
news | On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:03:48 +0100, "Sucuba Dude"
| wrote:
|

| "JH" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Anyone care to comment on this?
| |
| | 2) I can get them to communicate by allocating IP addresses manually, but
| | would it be better to get the ASUS router to do this dynamically?
|
| No. It depends what floats your boat. I prefer to set manual DNS, IPs and
| Gateways myself.
| It makes matters easier in my view.
|

| OK thanks.
|
| I am having still having trouble connecting the ASUS router through the
| cable modem. I'm stumped.

Im no expert on that router. However a couple of pointers I would look at if I
had your problem.
They may be right or wrong, so don't condem me.

First of all, The cable modems that NTL use (don't know who your wire is from)
will need to be totally powered off for a bit and disconnected.
They have this issue with MAC codes. You try and stick another bit of hardware
into it and it will give you nothing. You may here people bang on about MAC
cloning. From my own experiece NTL never needed this, but you do need to power
the modem off for a bit (enough time for the session to go 'stale'). Don't get
caught out on this. The routeen is make sure a PC can access the ROUTER. Power
off the Cable modem. Plug the modem into the router. Make sure the router is up
and running then repower the cable modem (after the session has gone 'stale').
This normally gets over the MAC issue with NTL. If you are with some other cable
provider you may need to clone the mac address of the original NIC or PC that
was presented to the cable modem. It varies with providers.

Back in my NTL days I had an NTL cable modem joined to a linksys router with an
RJ45 patch lead (check if yours needs a crossover or straight cable here - this
can stump you). I can recall how I set it up back then, but it was not very
testing. If it had been an arse I would have written it down!

Perhaps one of the experts could help here but they would need to know

Provider
Router & Hardware
How you have it wired up
What it will do and what you can't get it to do.

I know that helps very little, but with that info someone who knows there stuff
here may be able to help.

Old April 8th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Daniel Richards

JH wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 18:54:24 +0100, "Sucuba Dude"
wrote:

The modem is connected to the ISP (I can interrogate the router and all
seems OK) ; the wireless network is working.
I just can't get the data from the wireless router through the modem to the
outside world.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

J.

Just in passing there is connected to the ISP and there is connected,
authenticated and logged into the ISP

Probably of no help at all. I take it you have not overlooked the
obvious, software firewalls on any machine? The likes of Norton Internet
Security, MS Firewall and the like. Just a long shot.
Old April 9th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Daniel Richards

JH wrote:

wrote:

The modem is connected to the ISP (I can interrogate the router and all
seems OK) ; the wireless network is working.
I just can't get the data from the wireless router through the modem to the
outside world.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

J.

Just in passing there is connected to the ISP and there is connected,
authenticated and logged into the ISP

It seems OK, I pinged the name servers on Demon.

Probably of no help at all. I take it you have not overlooked the
obvious, software firewalls on any machine? The likes of Norton Internet
Security, MS Firewall and the like. Just a long shot.

Yep, turned all of them off for the tests, and didn't use encryption on the
wireless link. I use Zonelabs (not the windows firewall) on all the PC's
and turned them off.

Thanks for reading the thread anyhow.

J.

What is the set up not doing? Are you not getting port 80 web traffic in
? Are you able to get any service through the router/modem?

Check basic networking settings. Set one machine a static IP, set the
name servers manually (use the demon ones that you are able to ping
perhaps) and set the default gateway to the address of the router.

With this done can you get any traffic through it? That is web
requests/email. Is the fault specific to a type of request or general.

Have you done a cold reset on the router? Westell make some pretty good
gear and I always found there support to be pretty good. I still use an
old Westell USB modem as the 'de facto' test for broadband line sync
with customers and it has never failed me yet. It may be worth trying it
with a wired RJ45 to start out just to fully wipe out any wireless
issues for a moment.

You have established via ping that requests are passing from the router
to the modem out to the net and back again so the router is obviously
routing! This is going to be one of those 'kick yourself' scenarios I
think. Can you pull up a web page if you go by address only? (eg. does
http://212.58.224.116/ give you anything?) (DNS Issues).

Do web pages completely fail to load right away or is there a bit of a
delay before it bombs out? It may be an MTU issue with the router V the
ISP. Most normally sit around the 1500 mark but some ISPs require less
than this. Long shot but I'm now out of ideas.

Old April 10th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"JH" wrote in message
| On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:05:31 +0100, JH wrote:
| (snip)
| This is going to be one of those 'kick yourself' scenarios I
| think.
| (snip)
|
| Correct.
|
| I set the Asus as only an access point, (get the IP from the Westell) and
| it worked.
| (The default value of the Asus was "Home Gateway Mode").
|
| Kicking myself heartily.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| J.

Magic!