ICS with AOL silver

Old April 7th 06, 12:47 PM
hedgehog hedgehog is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation ICS with AOL silver

Hi, i want to connect my ps2 to the pc with no use of a router, so that i can play games over the internet.
I have purchased a crossover cat 5 ethernet cable, which i understand connects from the computer's ethernet slot (which i have checked is there) to the ps2's ethernet slot.
I have enabled the internet connection sharing settings of the connection i am using, and have used the pppoe method to connect to aol.
I'm just checking if i have all the requirements to share the internet connection with my ps2.
From researching i discovered that ICS with AOL is very complicated.
I've followed a couple of online guides to do what i've done so far.
The ethernet cable hasn't arrived yet, so i can't test it out unfortunately; and i do not want to buy a router, that is my very last option which i probably wont take anyway

So my question is, have i got all the requirements to share the aol (silver package) internet connection with my ps2 (without the use of a router), and if not, please tell me what i need.

thanks
Old April 7th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Default ICS with AOL silver

hedgehog wrote:
Hi, i want to connect my ps2 to the pc with no use of a router, so that
i can play games over the internet.
I have purchased a crossover cat 5 ethernet cable, which i understand
connects from the computer's ethernet slot (which i have checked is
there) to the ps2's ethernet slot.
I have enabled the internet connection sharing settings of the
connection i am using, and have used the pppoe method to connect to
aol.
I'm just checking if i have all the requirements to share the internet
connection with my ps2.
From researching i discovered that ICS with AOL is very complicated.
I've followed a couple of online guides to do what i've done so far.
The ethernet cable hasn't arrived yet, so i can't test it out
unfortunately; and i do not want to buy a router, that is my very last
option which i probably wont take anyway

So my question is, have i got all the requirements to share the aol
(silver package) internet connection with my ps2 (without the use of a
router), and if not, please tell me what i need.

thanks

You need to bite the bullet and get a router.

This will sort you out, it is compatible with aol, and costs less then 30.
How much hair pulling is it worth to get your aol working without one?

Just get the router, your life will seem much better, no ics, no hassle.

remember to use ppoa on the router, and set the mtu tp 1400

Gaz

Old April 8th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Gaz wrote in
:

hedgehog wrote:
Hi, i want to connect my ps2 to the pc with no use of a router, so
that i can play games over the internet.
I have purchased a crossover cat 5 ethernet cable, which i understand
connects from the computer's ethernet slot (which i have checked is
there) to the ps2's ethernet slot.
I have enabled the internet connection sharing settings of the
connection i am using, and have used the pppoe method to connect to
aol.
I'm just checking if i have all the requirements to share the
internet connection with my ps2.
From researching i discovered that ICS with AOL is very complicated.
I've followed a couple of online guides to do what i've done so far.
The ethernet cable hasn't arrived yet, so i can't test it out
unfortunately; and i do not want to buy a router, that is my very
last option which i probably wont take anyway

So my question is, have i got all the requirements to share the aol
(silver package) internet connection with my ps2 (without the use of
a router), and if not, please tell me what i need.

thanks

You need to bite the bullet and get a router.

This will sort you out, it is compatible with aol, and costs less
then 30. How much hair pulling is it worth to get your aol working
without one?
Just get the router, your life will seem much better, no ics, no
hassle.
remember to use ppoa on the router, and set the mtu tp 1400

If you *do* use ICS, make sure you set up the remote (non "router" PC)
correctly. I was called in to sort out ICS that someone had already set up.
At first sight, everything looked OK: router PC had IP 192.168.0.1 and
remote PC had 192.168.0.2; PCs could ping each other; file/printer sharing
worked OK. But remote PC could not access internet - even a simple ping of
an external address failed. Then I spotted the problem: remote PC had been
given a static IP/DNS instead of using DHCP, so its gateway and DNS
addresses were incorrect. I'm embarrassed that it took me several minutes to
spot this!

If you use a router, you should create a brand new screen name just for the
router to connect to AOL. If you use a screen name that is also used for a
user to log on, the user will be able to log on using PCs on that network
but will be blocked from logging on from anywhere else - eg by dial-up when
visiting friends.

Remember that if you have a router, you can browse the web using Internet
Explorer / Opera / Firefox without needing to be signed-on to AOL on the PC:
many people don't appreciate that, and religiously sign on every time.