sound card etc

Old April 7th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PB

Default sound card etc

Can someone evplain the fundamentals to me please.

I want to use Skype with headphones using USB (i bought a plantronics
headset) so I've got these plugged into USB.

I've also got huge PC speakers for my music plugged into the sound card
ie the green/blue/pink jacks.

How does the PC separate out these 2 demands on services.

at the mo when I'm on the headsets on the Skype i get to hear myself in
feedback mode a split second later.

TIA

Old April 7th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

PB wrote:

How does the PC separate out these 2 demands on services.

badly, as you have discovered.

Control Panel / Sounds and Audio devices allows you to select default
devices separately for Audio (music) and Voice

individual applications may also have settings to pick their own
preferred output device.

Phil

Old April 23rd 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PB

I've ended up taking the soft option....

PCwith speakers on one PC, skype and headphones on another.

Thats what I call taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but at least I
don't hear myself twice.

Lets hope a better solution raises itself as this requirement becomes
more common

Thanks for taking the time to reply Phil