Belkin router and wanadoo connection hell

Old April 7th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
progger

Default Belkin router and wanadoo connection hell

Hi

I am trying to help out a friend and install a belkin f5d7632-4
wireless router with a wanadoo broadband connection. I have installed a
few different types of wireless routers but never had a problem like
this!
Using a hardwired ethernet connection I have accessed the routers GUI
and have run belkins wizard. The wizard asks me what kind of connection
(PPPoA) and static IP or obtain one automatically (automatic) VPI and
VCI are already set to the correct numbers then asks for user name and
password.....This is the problem! The connection fails to authenticate
and says that the user login or password is wrong however I have rung
wanadoo and they are correct. So I am guessing that there must be a
problem with the routers hand-shake.
These are wanadoos settings:
Connection type PPPOA

VPI/VCI 0/38

Encap VCMUX

Wanadoo Settings for Router:

Encapsulation: PPP over ATM

Multiplexing Method: VC-Based

Virtual Circuit: VPI=0 VCI=38

I cannot find any setting on the router to check if 'Encap VCMUX' and
'Multiplexing Method: VC-Based' are set correctly as I cannot see these
terms on the GUI.
I have also seen another post for a similar problem that says there
might be a problem with 'CHAPS'. I have no idea what CHAPS is, how to
configure it or even how to find it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated

TIA

Progger

--
progger
Old April 7th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:38:09 +0100, progger wrote:

Hi

I am trying to help out a friend and install a belkin f5d7632-4 wireless
router with a wanadoo broadband connection. I have installed a few
different types of wireless routers but never had a problem like this!
Using a hardwired ethernet connection I have accessed the routers GUI and
have run belkins wizard. The wizard asks me what kind of connection
(PPPoA) and static IP or obtain one automatically (automatic) VPI and VCI
are already set to the correct numbers then asks for user name and
password.....This is the problem! The connection fails to authenticate and
says that the user login or password is wrong
I have also seen another post for a similar problem that says there might
be a problem with 'CHAPS'. I have no idea what CHAPS is, how to configure
it or even how to find it.

You shouldn't really need to worry about PAP/CHAP, the normal unix
PPP implementation, that you generally find in domestic routers, can work
it out for itself.

I had a similar PPP problem when I switched from a router to an X-Modem
(which also terminates PPP itself). I eventually gave up and had some
lunch. When I came back it was working. I suspect that something had to
time-out on the other end.

Old April 7th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

progger wrote:
[...]

are you remembering to put @fs (or something like that) on the end of the
username?
Does the username and password work on windows dial up using the supplied
usb modem?

Gaz

Old April 7th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
progger

progger Wrote:
[...]

Ok although I had no replies I manged to sort the problem out by
updating the modem firmware and then do a reset to factory default and
started over. I now have this problem!After I started over I connected
instantly with the loging and password however when the connection
drops I am unable to reconnect and have to reset the router to default
and start over....every time!!. Is there a way I can stop the
connection from dropping and if not why do you think I have to reset to
default settings every time??

think I might dip my hand in some hot fat to take my mind of this ****
router

TIA

--
progger
Old April 8th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

progger wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a problem with PAP/CHAP, ie the router defaults to PAP, and the
remote end wants CHAP. See if you can work out how to force the router into
either PAP or CHAP mode.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
00:00:52 up 6 days, 8:49, 2 users, load average: 0.94, 0.37, 0.26

Old April 8th 06, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:02:52 +0000, alexd wrote:

Sounds like a problem with PAP/CHAP, ie the router defaults to PAP, and
the remote end wants CHAP. See if you can work out how to force the
router into either PAP or CHAP mode.

The reason why pap/chap options exist is so you can specify which
ones *you* will accept. The default is to accept whatever the other end
supports; this default usually translates to "auto" or "pap/chap" on the
GUI. There is no need to force it.
Old April 8th 06, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Gaz" wrote in message

progger wrote:
[...]

Have you recently had a speed upgrade..? Be careful with Freeserve/Wanadoo
usernames, they can change without warning, particularly after a speed
upgrade, and CS *won't* tell you..!

I started out on 512k several years ago when broadband first started, with
the username in the form - then
after upgrading to 1Mb the part after the @ changed without warning to
simply "@fs" but CS didn't tell me until I rang them wondering why I
couldn't log in. Then when I upgraded again to 2Mb the same thing
happened, I couldn't get in. Several calls to CS (I'd forgotten about the
original name change problem) and threatening to report anybody and
everybody until I got a supervisor, I finally found out that my username
had reverted to the original, i.e. the bb2.freeserve.co.uk one.

Ivor

Old April 8th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

progger wrote:

I now have this problem!After I started over I connected
instantly with the loging and password however when the connection
drops I am unable to reconnect and have to reset the router to default
and start over....every time!!. Is there a way I can stop the
connection from dropping

set timeout to zero or check some box about re-connecting automatically
? Mine is up 24/7, if you stil have problems I'll fish out its
settings.

Phil

Old April 8th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Bob wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:02:52 +0000, alexd wrote:

Sounds like a problem with PAP/CHAP, ie the router defaults to PAP, and
the remote end wants CHAP. See if you can work out how to force the
router into either PAP or CHAP mode.

The reason why pap/chap options exist is so you can specify which
ones *you* will accept. The default is to accept whatever the other end
supports; this default usually translates to "auto" or "pap/chap" on the
GUI. There is no need to force it.

If the router is broken and can't work out what the remote end supports, it
may be necessary to force it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:30:51 up 6 days, 19:19, 2 users, load average: 0.54, 0.46, 0.21

Old April 8th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
progger

progger Wrote:
Have to set router to factory default and start over every time
connection drops!

Thanks for all of your help! I have now set it to zero idle time and
auto reconnect, hope that works! I still cant see anything for
PAP/Chaps in the GUI! Anyway fingers crossed

--
progger