Line Attenuation / SNR Am I stuffed?!

Old April 8th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benje

Default Line Attenuation / SNR Am I stuffed?!

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 21.3 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 52.9 27.5 dB
Errored Seconds 166 40
Loss of Signal 1 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 199 50
Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Looking at the above figures, could anyone tell me whether I'll ever be able
to obatin more than 1Mbit broadband? I should be on 2Mbits but I appear to
be stuck at 2!

Is there anything that can be done to improve such things as the line
attenuation? Or am I too far from the exchange? One thing I have noticed is
when it rains heavily, the connection always seems to drop, so perhaps
theres a dodgy connection somewhere.....??

I can also obtain a 5dB gain in SNR margin when I disconnect the downstairs
phone, perhaps I need new filters?!?

Cheers

Ben

Old April 8th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benje

"Benje" wrote in message
[...]

It appears that I'm around 2.4 miles away from the exchange! I can only
assume this is bad...

Old April 8th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Benje:

It appears that I'm around 2.4 miles away from the exchange! I can
only assume this is bad...

2.4 miles or 2.4km?

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 8th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Benje wrote:
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 21.3 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 52.9 27.5 dB

well plenty of margin to get faster speeds.

Errored Seconds 166 40
Loss of Signal 1 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 199 50

not so good, depending how long it had been on.

Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Looking at the above figures, could anyone tell me whether I'll ever be able
to obatin more than 1Mbit broadband? I should be on 2Mbits but I appear to
be stuck at 2!

MaxDSL would give you 2M or more, look for the "up to 8M" products.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php suggests 4M is on the cards.

You sound to have dodgy wiring / filtering. See what happens in the
test socket http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3
which is free of internal influences.

Phil

Old April 8th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benje

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...
Benje wrote:
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 21.3 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 52.9 27.5 dB

well plenty of margin to get faster speeds.

Ok I've had a fiddle with filters/ locations and have managed to obtain a
SNR of 29.1dB. According to the website posted, I should be able to obtain
upto 5.5mbps, so why am I stuck at 1mbps??!?

Possible some form of limit at the excgange?
Cheers

Ben

Old April 8th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Benje
says...
[...]

4.2 to 5Mbps according to
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php

FR
Old April 8th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

According to the website posted, I should be able to obtain
upto 5.5mbps, so why am I stuck at 1mbps??!?

Possible some form of limit at the excgange?
Cheers

Ben

Because you haven't yet been moved from your current 1Mb service to the ADSL
max service???????

Andy

Old April 9th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benje

"Andrew" wrote in message
According to the website posted, I should be able to obtain
upto 5.5mbps, so why am I stuck at 1mbps??!?

Possible some form of limit at the excgange?
Cheers

Ben

Because you haven't yet been moved from your current 1Mb service to the

ADSL
max service???????

Andy

No I meant why am I nor currently on 2Mbps, as that's what I pay for.
However I think its been explained now, i.e. my line attenuation is too high
for 2mbps..........

Old April 10th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Benje wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

According to the website posted, I should be able to obtain

upto 5.5mbps, so why am I stuck at 1mbps??!?

Possible some form of limit at the excgange?
Cheers

Ben

Because you haven't yet been moved from your current 1Mb service to the

ADSL

max service???????

Andy

No I meant why am I nor currently on 2Mbps, as that's what I pay for.
However I think its been explained now, i.e. my line attenuation is too high
for 2mbps..........

No it was too high under the old condervative BT limits - if you change
your ISP product to a max dsl then if/when your exchange is ready for
max dsl you should get more.

Speed predictions based on SNR Margin of 29 are likely to be
artificially high - if you look every second for a day you may see
(depending on how your modem reports Margin) something more like below,
which I paste from an old post of mine.

Andy.

That calc seems very sensitive to noise margin, putting my stats in

2272 speed 50 attenuation and 23 noise (my other modem says 44
attenuation - both may be perfectly correct as only active channels are
measured and the bitloading algorithm is not mandated IIRC)

The result 8192 :-)

Though I polled the stats several times and the margin was 24 or 23, I
know my line is 3km and having polled noise margin every second for a
most of a day recently (stats below) I somehow don't think I'll be
syncing at 8meg.

Andy.

1 0
2 2