Setting Up A Wireless Network

Old April 8th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Rowland

Default Setting Up A Wireless Network

I'm sure this has been covered before, but here we go...

I've a Desktop running Windows Xp Home with a Laptop running Windows Xp
Home. I've a D-Link wireless broadband router under the stairs, a wireless
USB connection in the back of the Desktop and a Netgear wireless PCMCIA in
the laptop. Both machines can access the web, but I'd like to network the
two of them, file sharing, print sharing etc,

Can anyone advise me how to do this, if it's possible, which I'm sure it is,
I'm just being a bit of dullard and this is my first crack at wireless,
unless you include listening to Wogan on Radio 2!

TIA,

Martyn

Old April 8th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M60

"Martyn Rowland" martyn.(dot)[email protected](at)mcail.(dot)com wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered before, but here we go...

I've a Desktop running Windows Xp Home with a Laptop running Windows Xp
Home. I've a D-Link wireless broadband router under the stairs, a
wireless USB connection in the back of the Desktop and a Netgear wireless
PCMCIA in the laptop. Both machines can access the web, but I'd like to
network the two of them, file sharing, print sharing etc,

Can anyone advise me how to do this, if it's possible, which I'm sure it
is, I'm just being a bit of dullard and this is my first crack at
wireless, unless you include listening to Wogan on Radio 2!

TIA,

Martyn

any this help, it was my networking setup experience

System:

BT Voyager 2000 Wireless Router.

Clone Desktop (AMD 1200), Windows XP Home, BT 1010 USB Wireless TX.

Dell Notebook (M60), Windows XP Pro, Intel 2100 MiniPCI TX Card.

Norton Internet Security 2003 on both.

Three very good Network webs to also use are,

1. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040722.shtml

2.
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...daddrwinxp.htm

3. http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm

1. Disable ALL Firewall applications, including XPs

2. Disable Antivirus software.

3. Set Netbios to enable over TCP.

4. Run Network Setup Wizard for all computers. This I found to be an
automatic procedure and the software selected the correct options for each
system.

5. Check that Simple File Sharing is enabled (XP Pro only) StartMy
Network PlacesToolsFolder OptionsView Tab. Scroll down to the bottom
where you will see "use simple file sharing (Recommended)". Tick the box for
file sharing. Windows Home Edition is pre set and does not require any user
interface.

6. Locate and note each computers IP address which should typically be
192.168.*.*, each computers name and the Network name. See web 2.

7. At this stage, try pinging each computer to check that they are
sensing each other. To do this, StartAll ProgramsAccessoriesCommand
Prompt. At the flashing curser, type in the IP address of the other computer
then hit the Enter key. Pinging will try 4 attempts to recognise the other
computer. You will see immediately if contact has been made by the data
given. Failure to contact will result in Failure to respond statements.
Another method of attempting contact is to type the other Computers name at
the command prompt then hit Enter. Again contact is evident by the data
reported or not so by a failure report.

8. OK, I am going to assume you have made contact with the other
computer and visa versa. For each computer, set up the files that you want
to share. Open Windows Explorer, select the drive that contains the
file/folder you want to share, right click on the file/folder and select
Sharing and Security. Under the Sharing tab, in the lower section, tick the
box that says Share this file. Close Explorer.

9. Now an Intermediate trial, StartMy Network Places. Within the My
Network Places window you should see all files/folders that are available on
the Network that you have just established. In the left plane select View
workgroup computers and you should see all the computers that are on the
Network.

10. If you can see ALL computers and files your ALMOST home and dry. Close
down the My Network Places window. Go back and enable ONE of the Firewalls
that you disabled in the beginning. Perhaps start with XPs own. It's better
to do this one at a time then you can determine which is giving most grief,
if any. Run step 11 again. If you can still see the files/folders and
computers then this Firewall is not preventing access. If you cannot see
files/folders/drives then you need to go into that Firewalls settings and
look for a Network section that will allow adding IP addresses or names to
Permit Network Access. If you have located this setup and entered the data,
try Step 11 again. Norton Internet Security has Network and Firewall
settings that enable you to add either single, group or a range of
acceptable IP addresses. For some unknown reason entering individual
computer IP addresses gave me problems. After much time wasting I used the
range setting ie 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10. This allowed all computers
with those addresses access to my Network. Lets say Step 12 was a success.
enable another Firewall and repeat Step 12.

11. Lets again assume with ALL Firewalls enabled the Network is 100% and you
can see ALL files/folders/drives on ALL computers. Shut down ALL computers
and make a cup of tea or coffee in preparation for the BIG trial. Now, Start
up ALL computers and try Step 11 again. Lets hope you still see ALL
file/folders/drives.

12. If you do not see ALL or some parts don't work correctly, you need to
double check the Firewall settings to make sure they have not reset back to
a default setting after the restart.

When I first went about setting up my wireless Network, I failed to carry
out Steps 1 to 3 until the very end. This gave me numerous problems and many
wasted hours of chasing about......so make sure you follow the above
sequence.

For further information please refer to these, very useful, web pages. They
have everything that is required to provide a Network setup. It also helps
if you read them carefully, slowly and more than once to understand and take
in the information.

dj

Old April 8th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

"Martyn Rowland" martyn.(dot)[email protected](at)mcail.(dot)com declared for
all the world to hear...
I'm sure this has been covered before, but here we go...

I've a Desktop running Windows Xp Home with a Laptop running Windows Xp
Home. I've a D-Link wireless broadband router under the stairs, a wireless
USB connection in the back of the Desktop and a Netgear wireless PCMCIA in
the laptop. Both machines can access the web, but I'd like to network the
two of them, file sharing, print sharing etc,

Can anyone advise me how to do this, if it's possible, which I'm sure it is,
I'm just being a bit of dullard and this is my first crack at wireless,
unless you include listening to Wogan on Radio 2!

Make both computers on same workgroup (start right-click my computer
properties computer name Change...) You can make up the workgroup
name as long as it's the same on both machines.

Share some drives or folders on at least one of the machines. Re-boot
everything to be sure and you should then be able to see the shared
drives on machine A from "my network places" on machine B.
--
Regards
Jon
Old April 9th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
john

"Martyn Rowland" martyn.(dot)[email protected](at)mcail.(dot)com wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered before, but here we go...

If you know it has been covered then use Google Groups, if not then try
GOOGLE, or www.practicallynetworked.com

Old April 9th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Rowland

Thanks for the advice/help.

Martyn