Question regarding credit expiry with SIP providers

Old April 8th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

Default Question regarding credit expiry with SIP providers

I am looking to sign up with a VOIP provider. I have unlocked a PAP2
and it is working fine.

I understand that with some providers any remaining calling credit
expires if not used after 120 days from the date of purchase. I am in
the situation of spending time out of the country, sometimes for
several months at a time.

Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
no expiry?

Old April 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Gul Dukat" wrote in message
idual.de
I am looking to sign up with a VOIP provider. I have
unlocked a PAP2 and it is working fine.

I understand that with some providers any remaining
calling credit expires if not used after 120 days from
the date of purchase. I am in the situation of spending
time out of the country, sometimes for several months at
a time.

Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the
account with no expiry?

Sipgate, Gradwell, to name but two.

Ivor

Old April 8th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Gul Dukat wrote:

I understand that with some providers any remaining calling credit
expires if not used after 120 days from the date of purchase. I am in
the situation of spending time out of the country, sometimes for
several months at a time.

take it with you ?

Phil

Old April 8th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com
Gul Dukat wrote:

I understand that with some providers any remaining
calling credit expires if not used after 120 days from
the date of purchase. I am in the situation of spending
time out of the country, sometimes for several months
at a time.

take it with you ?

There is that, of course, provided the OP has broadband access where he's
going.

Ivor

Old April 8th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:54:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

There is that, of course, provided the OP has broadband access where he's
going.

Thanks for the info Ivor, and yes you are right I am unable to have
regular BB access when away.

Cheers.

Old April 8th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Gul Dukat wrote:

Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
no expiry?

Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage - it is
inpractical to have the risk of all the credit sat on the balance sheet
for too long.

Tim
Old April 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Tim Bray" wrote in message
Gul Dukat wrote:

Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
no expiry?

Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage - it is
inpractical to have the risk of all the credit sat on the balance
sheet for too long.

It seems to be generally that if an account is not used for say six
months, the companies reserve the right to close the account, and any
unused credit is forfeited, which is fair enough. This is a lot better
than the companies that pocket their customer's money if they don't add
more in 120 days, even if the customers are using the account regularly.

Old April 9th 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"GwG" wrote in message

"Tim Bray" wrote in message
Gul Dukat wrote:

Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in
the account with no expiry?

Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage
- it is inpractical to have the risk of all the credit
sat on the balance sheet for too long.

It seems to be generally that if an account is not used
for say six months, the companies reserve the right to
close the account, and any unused credit is forfeited,
which is fair enough. This is a lot better than the
companies that pocket their customer's money if they
don't add more in 120 days, even if the customers are
using the account regularly.

I have a spare Sipgate account that I occasionally use for tests with
around a fiver on it that hasn't been used in a few months, I just checked
and it's still active. Sipgate say, as mentioned above, that they reserve
the right to terminate unused accounts, but as far as I'm aware they've
never done so.

Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
its credit.

Ivor

Old April 9th 06, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:30:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
its credit.

And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month until the end of
September, albeit to other Virgin phones.

Old April 9th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

news
wrote:

Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin
phone in my car's glovebox that I keep for emergencies,
in case I forget my main phone if I go out in a hurry
for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months
but I just fetched it and switched it on and it's
active and working with all its credit.

And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month
until the end of September, albeit to other Virgin phones.

Why don't they ever give away anything *useful*..? 1000 messages would
last me 100 years never mind a month..!

Ivor