thomson speedtouch 580 + AOL gold setup

Old April 8th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Hunsley

Default thomson speedtouch 580 + AOL gold setup

I've just helped someone set up a Thomson Speedtouch 580 wireless ADSL
router on their existing AOL gold ADSL connection. (They had a USB modem
before.)
We got regular internet access working on the service, but then they
logged into AOL over dial up (long story) and changed their AOL
password, and now ADSL isn't working - the speedtouch router can't get
connected now. Am I right in assuming that we have to change the
password in the actual router for ADSL auth to the new password? I ask
because we tried changing the password in the router to the new AOL
password my friend set, and still no dice.

Btw, I set up the router using the speedtouch 580 setup program on the
CD that came with it, and I used the setup setting "UK PPPoA - Default
settings" - which I presume is correct. (At no point was I asked about
VPI and VCI settings...)

Alex
Old April 9th 06, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Hunsley

Alex Hunsley wrote:
I've just helped someone set up a Thomson Speedtouch 580 wireless ADSL
router on their existing AOL gold ADSL connection. (They had a USB modem
before.)
We got regular internet access working on the service, but then they
logged into AOL over dial up (long story) and changed their AOL
password, and now ADSL isn't working - the speedtouch router can't get
connected now. Am I right in assuming that we have to change the
password in the actual router for ADSL auth to the new password? I ask
because we tried changing the password in the router to the new AOL
password my friend set, and still no dice.

Ok, it seems this was indeed the problem/solution... just that the guy
was misttyping the exact password needed into the router config page: he
eventually got it right.

Old April 9th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 00:00:35 GMT, Alex Hunsley
wrote:

Alex Hunsley wrote:
I've just helped someone set up a Thomson Speedtouch 580 wireless ADSL
router on their existing AOL gold ADSL connection. (They had a USB modem
before.)
We got regular internet access working on the service, but then they
logged into AOL over dial up (long story) and changed their AOL
password, and now ADSL isn't working - the speedtouch router can't get
connected now. Am I right in assuming that we have to change the
password in the actual router for ADSL auth to the new password? I ask
because we tried changing the password in the router to the new AOL
password my friend set, and still no dice.

Ok, it seems this was indeed the problem/solution... just that the guy
was misttyping the exact password needed into the router config page: he
eventually got it right.

You should create a new AOL "Screen name" just for the router to use
(following the AOL guidelines for name/password length etc) - don't
use the current login as when they do login from else where it will
disconnect the router for anyone else that might be using it.

You might like to upgrade the firmware on the router to 4.3.2.9 on the
www.speedtouch.co.uk/580.asp website and use the PPPoE option for
connection as all AOL connections will eventually migrate that way.

Use the IE web broswer to configure the router then - not any original
CD.