router with one wireless port - what does this mean?

Old April 8th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen

Default router with one wireless port - what does this mean?

I am gettng closer to going to broadband. Among the specs of BT's offer or a
wireless router it says that it has one wireless port? Does this mean that
only one computer can be online at a time? One of the things I want from
broadband is to enable my stepdaughter and I to go online with our computers
and to enable each of us to be on at the same time if needs be.

TY

Old April 8th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Stephen wrote:
I am gettng closer to going to broadband. Among the specs of BT's offer or
wireless router it says that it has one wireless port? Does this mean that
only one computer can be online at a time? One of the things I want from
broadband is to enable my stepdaughter and I to go online with our
computers
and to enable each of us to be on at the same time if needs be.

TY

Get broadband, with free modem, and then buy a seperate wireless router, it
will be better then the bt effort, and wont have any limits that you suggest
above.

This is an exceptionally reliable router, comes with a free usb wireless
connecter.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...uct_uid=100974

It is a bit trickier to set up then the bt one (the bt one will setup from a
wizard from install cd, this one, you have to set it up the same way normal
routers are set up, it is simple, but the first time you do it it can be
confusing)

Gaz

Old April 9th 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Gaz" wrote in :

This is an exceptionally reliable router,

Evidence please?
Old April 9th 06, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in :

This is an exceptionally reliable router,

Evidence please?

I would go further & ask why have they forgotten the faulty power
supply problems which have dogged this make/model for the last year.
Having said that I would say that the price is keen., not quite sure
how I would like USB as a networking solution though.

Old April 9th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Gaz wrote:

Stephen wrote:
I am gettng closer to going to broadband. Among the specs of BT's offer
or a
wireless router it says that it has one wireless port? Does this mean
that only one computer can be online at a time? One of the things I want
from broadband is to enable my stepdaughter and I to go online with our
computers
and to enable each of us to be on at the same time if needs be.

TY

Get broadband, with free modem, and then buy a seperate wireless router,
it will be better then the bt effort, and wont have any limits that you
suggest above.

This is an exceptionally reliable router, comes with a free usb wireless
connecter.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products

index.html?rb=18029591703&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X 292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100974

It is a bit trickier to set up then the bt one (the bt one will setup from
a wizard from install cd, this one, you have to set it up the same way
normal routers are set up, it is simple, but the first time you do it it
can be confusing)

Gaz

Does the USB stick do Linux drivers?
If not any out there?

TIA

Old April 9th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Gaz" wrote in :

This is an exceptionally reliable router,

Evidence please?

Personal experience, having installed many dozen, the only mid to low price
router that I have found to be reliable. I dont get call backs from these
routers... Which to me is essential. Once installed, they are reliable, port
forwading is simple, their auto reconnection following a line drop is very
aggressive (ie it works), it doesnt need rebooted (most routers i deal with
need a reboot one a week or so), the wireless range is pretty good, and they
do a good sync on poor lines (i get 60ishdb lineloss on the download, yet
run a rock solid 1mb line).

Unlike virtually every other router I have installed, linksys, belkin etc
etc.

Just personal experieince.

Gaz

Old April 10th 06, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

http://kerneltrap.org/node/5470

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:21:22 up 8 days, 17:10, 3 users, load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.10