ProVu / Telewest

Old April 9th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
grumpy

Default ProVu / Telewest

Is there anyone useing the provu ata 1100 on a telewest phoneline.
The unit functions properly apart from I am unable to get mine to call out
on the pstn side.
The call keeps getting disconected as soon as the other person answers the
phone.
I can 1471 on the pstn side.
I have tested the the unit in my daughters house on an ntl line and it works
ok.
Does any one now why this maybe happening.
Am I likely to get T.W. to resolve my problem (probably not)
Does anyone know of a way to workround this problem.

dave

Old April 9th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

grumpy wrote:

Is there anyone useing the provu ata 1100 on a telewest phoneline.
The unit functions properly apart from I am unable to get mine to call out
on the pstn side.
The call keeps getting disconected as soon as the other person answers the
phone.
I can 1471 on the pstn side.
I have tested the the unit in my daughters house on an ntl line and it
works ok.
Does any one now why this maybe happening.
Am I likely to get T.W. to resolve my problem (probably not)
Does anyone know of a way to workround this problem.

The X100P clone card in my asterisk box does exactly this. It didn't
originally but I eventually gave up trying to find out what I'd changed to
break it. All my outgoing calls use Sipgate now anyway.

Old April 9th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
grumpy

"TheMgt" wrote in message
news
grumpy wrote:

Is there anyone useing the provu ata 1100 on a telewest phoneline.
The unit functions properly apart from I am unable to get mine to call
out
on the pstn side.
The call keeps getting disconected as soon as the other person answers
the
phone.
I can 1471 on the pstn side.
I have tested the the unit in my daughters house on an ntl line and it
works ok.
Does any one now why this maybe happening.
Am I likely to get T.W. to resolve my problem (probably not)
Does anyone know of a way to workround this problem.

The X100P clone card in my asterisk box does exactly this. It didn't
originally but I eventually gave up trying to find out what I'd changed to
break it. All my outgoing calls use Sipgate now anyway.

Thanks for the reply

It must be something to do with the connection signal received at the T.W.
end. Its either distorted/delayed or maybe T.W. are just trying to make the
cheaper option problematic.

Old April 9th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Andrews

"grumpy" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there anyone useing the provu ata 1100 on a telewest phoneline.
The unit functions properly apart from I am unable to get mine to call out
on the pstn side.
The call keeps getting disconected as soon as the other person answers the
phone.
I can 1471 on the pstn side.
I have tested the the unit in my daughters house on an ntl line and it
works ok.
Does any one now why this maybe happening.
Am I likely to get T.W. to resolve my problem (probably not)
Does anyone know of a way to workround this problem.

dave

The TW system is the same as NTL - the only difference may be that your line
pair is reversed, this won't normally make any difference to a telephone -
but I'm not familiar with your ATA.

Peter

Old April 9th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
grumpy

The TW system is the same as NTL - the only difference may be that your
line pair is reversed, this won't normally make any difference to a
telephone - but I'm not familiar with your ATA.

Peter

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply
Afraid I dont understand you when you said, "the only difference may be that
your line
pair is reversed"
Is it possible for some non tech person (me) to
check this ?
I have tried to use the ata from my freinds house (also TW) It disconnects
there to.
I tend to think its the way my box is talking to the TW exchange, becuase if
I disconnect the power to my ata I can then make a TW call through my ata
ok.

dave

Old April 9th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Andrews

"grumpy" wrote in message
. uk...

The TW system is the same as NTL - the only difference may be that your
line pair is reversed, this won't normally make any difference to a
telephone - but I'm not familiar with your ATA.

Peter

Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply
Afraid I dont understand you when you said, "the only difference may be
that your line
pair is reversed"
Is it possible for some non tech person (me) to
check this ?
I have tried to use the ata from my freinds house (also TW) It disconnects
there to.
I tend to think its the way my box is talking to the TW exchange, becuase
if I disconnect the power to my ata I can then make a TW call through my
ata ok.

dave

The technical specification for TW, NTL and BT lines are the same, i.e. they
are all designed and perform in the same manner(apart from Caller Display
which is dependant upon the local exchange manufacturer). I've looked at
the basic spec for your ATA and have read that it defaults to the PSTN in
the event of a power failure, which is effectively is what happens when you
turn the power off.

My TW line (my TW exchange is a Nortel DMS 100) reverses the line polarity
when the called number answers and I wonder if this is upsetting your ATA.
There are two wires coming into your master socket and changing these over
might be worth trying - however they are TW's and you shouldn't really touch
them... but if you have wired your own extensions then you could try
reversing the wires on tags 2 and 5.

Peter

Old April 9th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
grumpy

The technical specification for TW, NTL and BT lines are the same, i.e.
they are all designed and perform in the same manner(apart from Caller
Display which is dependant upon the local exchange manufacturer). I've
looked at the basic spec for your ATA and have read that it defaults to
the PSTN in the event of a power failure, which is effectively is what
happens when you turn the power off.

My TW line (my TW exchange is a Nortel DMS 100) reverses the line polarity
when the called number answers and I wonder if this is upsetting your ATA.
There are two wires coming into your master socket and changing these over
might be worth trying - however they are TW's and you shouldn't really
touch them... but if you have wired your own extensions then you could try
reversing the wires on tags 2 and 5.

Peter

Hi Peter
Have tried what you suggested but no luck
I don't have a clue what type my exchange is
My extension is wired
1 6
2 blue 5 white(two blue bands)
3 orange 4 white
If this ata works (NTL) but does'nt work with my TW line, does that mean any
ata (sipura,linksys)will have the same problem if I want to use pstn.
I only want to keep it because freinds & family are freecall (on TW)

dave

Old April 9th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

grumpy wrote:
Is there anyone useing the provu ata 1100 on a telewest phoneline.
The unit functions properly apart from I am unable to get mine to call out
on the pstn side.
The call keeps getting disconected as soon as the other person answers the
phone.
I can 1471 on the pstn side.
I have tested the the unit in my daughters house on an ntl line and it works
ok.
Does any one now why this maybe happening.
Am I likely to get T.W. to resolve my problem (probably not)
Does anyone know of a way to workround this problem.

Um, not sure. Also, because both NTL and telewest bought up many
individual cable companies, there are many different types of kit in
their different areas.

One possibility is that your telewest line signals when the other end
picks up, and this signal upsets the ATA 1100.

In some countries, there is polarity reversal on the line to indicate
when the far end has hung up.

Thats not much help.

Tim
Old April 9th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
grumpy

Um, not sure. Also, because both NTL and telewest bought up many
individual cable companies, there are many different types of kit in their
different areas.

One possibility is that your telewest line signals when the other end
picks up, and this signal upsets the ATA 1100.

In some countries, there is polarity reversal on the line to indicate when
the far end has hung up.

Thats not much help.

Tim

Hi Tim, nice to talk again.
Have you any views on the point I raised in the reply to Peter.

Old April 9th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

grumpy wrote:

Have tried what you suggested but no luck
I don't have a clue what type my exchange is
My extension is wired
1 6
2 blue 5 white(two blue bands)
3 orange 4 white

Are they connected the same at the other end?

It is important that extension sockets are wired exactly in parallel
with the extension wiring connector on the master socket.

Tim