Which Router for BT?

Old April 9th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobbinboy

Default Which Router for BT?

I thought I had some PC knowledge until it came to setting up a BT 205
router for the two PC's in my house. The thing is such a pain to setup
and it runs sooo hot that i have decided to ask you guys what's the best
alternative.

I want to be able to link the two PC's in the house using a cable
router so that both can be used for online gaming. Also if I get a
router can I play one PC against the other without being online?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as the BT router is
going out the window.

--
Bobbinboy
Old April 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

www.practicallynetworked.com

Old April 9th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Bobbinboy wrote:
I thought I had some PC knowledge until it came to setting up a BT 205
router for the two PC's in my house. The thing is such a pain to setup
and it runs sooo hot that i have decided to ask you guys what's the best
alternative.

I'm sorry, but if you cant set up a bt router, which are exceptionally easy
to configure (using a wizard on an install cd), then you have no chance with
a regular adsl router.

Gaz

Old April 10th 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Farouq

Have a read of the reviews on http://www.adslguide.org/ they are quite
detailed and will help you choose an appropriate DSL router.

Most routers have built in Ethernet hubs so you can communicate between
computers without going online.

Old April 10th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobbinboy

Gaz Wrote:
Bobbinboy wrote:
I thought I had some PC knowledge until it came to setting up a BT
205
router for the two PC's in my house. The thing is such a pain to
setup
and it runs sooo hot that i have decided to ask you guys what's the
best
alternative.

I'm sorry, but if you cant set up a bt router, which are exceptionally
easy
to configure (using a wizard on an install cd), then you have no chance
with
a regular adsl router.

Gaz

It wasn't so much the setting up, I guess it was just that the damn
thing worked some days and not others, when nothing had been changed.

Many thanks for the advice I'll try those sites.

--
Bobbinboy
Old April 10th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:54:20 +0100, Bobbinboy
wrote:

I thought I had some PC knowledge until it came to setting up a BT 205
router for the two PC's in my house. The thing is such a pain to setup
and it runs sooo hot that i have decided to ask you guys what's the best
alternative.

I want to be able to link the two PC's in the house using a cable
router so that both can be used for online gaming. Also if I get a
router can I play one PC against the other without being online?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as the BT router is
going out the window.

I'd go for a Draytek Vigor any day, i've tried out loads and these are
the top of the range. I currently have a Draytek Vigor 2800VG,
absolutely fantastic, dont think there is anything that the home user
cannot do that they would need to do.
www.draytek.co.uk
www.seg.co.uk
Old April 10th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

wrote:

I thought I had some PC knowledge until it came to setting up a BT 205
router for the two PC's in my house. The thing is such a pain to setup
and it runs sooo hot that i have decided to ask you guys what's the best
alternative.

I want to be able to link the two PC's in the house using a cable
router so that both can be used for online gaming. Also if I get a
router can I play one PC against the other without being online?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as the BT router is
going out the window.

I'd go for a Draytek Vigor any day, i've tried out loads and these are
the top of the range. I currently have a Draytek Vigor 2800VG,
absolutely fantastic, dont think there is anything that the home user
cannot do that they would need to do.
www.draytek.co.uk
www.seg.co.uk

They are the best out there, but then, they cost an awful lot more....

Gaz