Carphone warehouse to offer free broadband?

Old April 9th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Noman

Default Carphone warehouse to offer free broadband?

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...90&p=y7884yx96

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently 29.99 for
2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

Noman

Old April 9th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Noman" wrote in message
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...90&p=y7884yx96

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently 29.99
for 2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

Yup - I laughed when I heard the news ;o)

I know exactly who's hosting their kit, and how much it's costing per month.
The "free broadband" will come with a huge "BUT".

Old April 10th 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Beck" wrote in message
Gizmo wrote:
"Noman" wrote in message
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...90&p=y7884yx96

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently
29.99 for 2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

Yup - I laughed when I heard the news ;o)

I know exactly who's hosting their kit, and how much it's costing per
month. The "free broadband" will come with a huge "BUT".

What is that but?

A very tight download limit would be my guess. They will be paying the same
rates as the rest of the ISPs and will not be able to afford 10gb+ a month
users.

Old April 10th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 10 Apr 2006, "Beck" wrote:

What is that but?

Unless the poster identifies who is suppling the service, I'd be
likely to ignore any if's or but's because they could be vapour,
rather than based on any facts. Past posts have indicated that
service from TalkTalk blocked or throttled peer-to-peer and if
that remains the case I foresee a number of kiddies being far
from happy with Mum and Dad switching to free CW/TT ADSL (*)
It might mean they have to buy CDs/rent DVDs again :-)

(*) That rather assumes the rumours come true. TT has been doing
their ADSL free for the first three months, then 4.99/month which
is perhaps quite tempting, but having them for phone line rental,
as well as the possible blocking of indirect access services, may
make the overall costs of using TT/CW for a home line lots *more*
costly than sticking with BT/others for the voice calls. However
with the price of ADSL (and perhaps VoIP) one might do OK with TT
(but they might have a 12 month contract, so a potential reason a
user should consider them very carefully before signing up). PGM.
Old April 10th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Noman wrote:

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently 29.99 for
2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

are you on one of the LLU exchanges they might use, or on one of the
other 4,000 odd they won't bother with ?

Free broadband from talk-talk is value for money, but I'll stick to
paying 24.99 to someone else which is also value for money.

Phil

Old April 10th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

"PhilT" wrote in message
ups.com...
Noman wrote:

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently
29.99 for
2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

are you on one of the LLU exchanges they might use, or on one of the
other 4,000 odd they won't bother with ?

How do you find this out?

Old April 10th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

steeler wrote:
snip
A very tight download limit would be my guess. They will be paying the same
rates as the rest of the ISPs and will not be able to afford 10gb+ a month
users.

It's not quite that simple - non LLU ISPs pay some 80p/gb (I forget the
exact number) effectively, for the connection from the users to their
machines.

If the company has their own network, then the cost can be much, much
less.

However, with a 'free' service, of course, even if it's a tenth of that,
they won't want 10Gb+/mo.
Old April 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Beck
writes
I know exactly who's hosting their kit, and how much it's costing per
month. The "free broadband" will come with a huge "BUT".

What is that but?

Essentially, you'll get the service you pay for (and the service you
deserve for falling for it)
--
Clint Sharp
Old April 10th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rialto

"GwG" wrote in message

"PhilT" wrote in message
ups.com...
Noman wrote:

Here's hoping for 14.99 a month inc phone and calls! (currently 29.99
for
2 meg unlimited + phone/calls)

are you on one of the LLU exchanges they might use, or on one of the
other 4,000 odd they won't bother with ?

How do you find this out?

Enter your details he

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php