4mb speed download per hour?

Old April 10th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default 4mb speed download per hour?

Evening Everyone!

Would somebody be kind enough to calculate the amount I can download an hour
with a 4mb connection, with 448 upstream.

Assume conditions are perfect, I just want to know the maximum. I know this
never actually happens, and many factors effect the speed etc etc.

I just want to compare the "maximum" with my "actual" speed.

Thanks A Lot

Cheers

Old April 10th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Assuming the 4Mb is the data speed rather the the sync rate with the
exchange then

4000Kbps (4Mb) * 3600 (seconds in an hour) = 14400000

14400000/8 (bits to a byte) = 1800000

1800000/1024 (bytes in a megabyte)

= 1757.8125 Megabytes an hour. (1.76GB)

Old April 10th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Would somebody be kind enough to calculate the amount I can download an hour
with a 4mb connection, with 448 upstream.
Assume conditions are perfect, I just want to know the maximum.
I just want to compare the "maximum" with my "actual" speed.

Work it up from known figures - I could get 60-61k/sec on 512kbit
Old April 11th 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Daniel" wrote in message
Assuming the 4Mb is the data speed rather the the sync rate with the
exchange then

4000Kbps (4Mb) * 3600 (seconds in an hour) = 14400000

14400000/8 (bits to a byte) = 1800000

1800000/1024 (bytes in a megabyte)

= 1757.8125 Megabytes an hour. (1.76GB)

The OP wont get anywhere close to that if he's uploading flat out (as per
his post)

Old April 11th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Womar

Daniel wrote:

Assuming the 4Mb is the data speed rather the the sync rate with the
exchange then

4000Kbps (4Mb) * 3600 (seconds in an hour) = 14400000

14400000/8 (bits to a byte) = 1800000

It depends what you are trying to measure but if you are looking at
usable data e.g. the amount of data that actually ends up getting saved
to disk then its quite common to assume a 2 byte overhead for all the
encapsulation, IP, TCP, PPPoA or whatever else so it's not a bad idea to
divide by 10 instead of 8.
Old April 11th 06, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:02:50 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

"Daniel" wrote in message
Assuming the 4Mb is the data speed rather the the sync rate with the
exchange then

4000Kbps (4Mb) * 3600 (seconds in an hour) = 14400000

14400000/8 (bits to a byte) = 1800000

1800000/1024 (bytes in a megabyte)

= 1757.8125 Megabytes an hour. (1.76GB)

The OP wont get anywhere close to that if he's uploading flat out (as per
his post)

I don't think the OP was stating that he was going to be uploading at
the same time. I think he was just stating that his was talking about
a 4m/448k line.

I am getting pretty close to the maximum outside of busy periods. This
morning I am getting 772 kilobytes/s, which is 6,176,000 bits/s. My
BRAS IP rate is set as 6,500,000 bits/s, so I am getting 95% of the
theoretical maximum.

This is with HTTP downloads from a server local to my ISP.

Interestingly, when downloading at that speed using TCP my upstream
usage jumps to over 125 kilobits/s. I had no idea that the TCP ACK
packets for a 6.1 meg download would be that high ;-)
--
Andy Norman
http://www.gigajam.com/

Old April 11th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The OP wont get anywhere close to that if he's uploading flat out (as per
his post)

I don't think the OP was stating that he was going to be uploading at
the same time. I think he was just stating that his was talking about
a 4m/448k line.

Thats right.

I am getting pretty close to the maximum outside of busy periods. This
morning I am getting 772 kilobytes/s, which is 6,176,000 bits/s. My
BRAS IP rate is set as 6,500,000 bits/s, so I am getting 95% of the
theoretical maximum.

This is with HTTP downloads from a server local to my ISP.

I've just gone from 512K where I got a steady 55K-58K/sec on big downloads
and wasn't sure if I could just use that speed and multiple it by 8 for 4mb.

I'm happy anyway as I am getting around 400K/sec at peak times.

Cheers and Thanks