Linksys WAG345G & DHCP

Old April 10th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default Linksys WAG345G & DHCP

I got a Linksys WAG345G to replace my netgear router/modem. It seems to work
fine except I cannot figure out how to assign IP address for each client on
the DHCP server?

My netgear router allowed me an reserve IP address for a device on the
network so I always know for example that my laptop is at 192.168.0.12. Is
this not possible with the Linksys unit? everytime my router reboots
everything is re-assigned a different IP. How can I stop this from
happening?

regards

Old April 10th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

mark wrote:
I got a Linksys WAG345G to replace my netgear router/modem. It
seems to work fine except I cannot figure out how to assign IP
address for each client on the DHCP server?

My netgear router allowed me an reserve IP address for a device on
the network so I always know for example that my laptop is at
192.168.0.12. Is this not possible with the Linksys unit? everytime
my router reboots everything is re-assigned a different IP. How can
I stop this from happening?

regards

Set your network up with fixed IPs?

Old April 10th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:42:57 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "mark"
wrote:

I got a Linksys WAG345G to replace my netgear router/modem. It seems to work
fine except I cannot figure out how to assign IP address for each client on
the DHCP server?

Sounds like your old router did MAC-IP address reservations, and the
new one doesn't do it quite the same way.

My netgear router allowed me an reserve IP address for a device on the
network so I always know for example that my laptop is at 192.168.0.12. Is
this not possible with the Linksys unit?

Look for a "DHCP renewal interval" or "Lease time" and try to set it
to infinity or at least a very long time. My SMC can be set to retain
DHCP leases indefinitely - clients always get the same IP back

everytime my router reboots
everything is re-assigned a different IP. How can I stop this from
happening?

Simplest: configure each client with a fixed address, if you want it
to have one. You do this on the CLIENT side, ie in the network config
of the client.
Mark McIntyre