Plusnet - Usenet

Old April 11th 06, 12:32 AM
mrchalk mrchalk is offline
Junior Member

Default Plusnet - Usenet

Hi all, new to this forum after doing a bit of research on the dreaded Plusnet service! Now is it just me that is still restricted on my usenet allowance after 00:00 when its supposed to be "free". Its now 00:27 and im gettin 0.84kbps. SERIOUSLY thinking about jumping ship - fast! I have mailed Plusenet but they have given the "we're currently not experiancing any problems" rubbish. Btw i have a 1.1mb connection and am on the "premier" (lol) pay monthly account.

Last edited by mrchalk : April 11th 06 at 12:36 AM.
Old April 11th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Hi all, new to this forum after doing a bit of research on the dreaded
Plusnet service! Now is it just me that is still restricted on my
usenet allowance after 00:00 when its supposed to be "free". Its now
00:27 and im gettin 0.84kbps. SERIOUSLY thinking about jumping ship -
fast! I have mailed Plusenet but they have given the "we're currently
not experiancing any problems" rubbish. Btw i have a 1.1mb connection
and am on the "premier" (lol) pay monthly account.

What other ISP's have you personal experience of as opposed to hearsay? Do
you think other ISP's don't suffer from problems? What other ISP's provide
an online service information system? Just curious!

Peter Crosland

Old April 11th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

What other ISP's provide an online service information system? Just
curious!

Eclipse do.
And as an ex Plusnet user, I can tell you that they are a much better ISP in
my view.
They are at present much like PlusNet was over 24 months ago.

PlusNet have now put all their eggs into the "n00b" user basket, which has
been fine for the last year for them.
The problem now is that some big guns are entering this market, Sky and
Carphone to name but two.
Add to this the other players of the same ilk, AOL, Ticali and Wanadoo and
you can see that PlusNet may have some problems to come.

Other ISP's that did not go down the PlusNet route will find that they have
less to worry about from these new developments as their customer base is
not in the same demographic as the ones mentioned above.

I bet PlusNet wish they had not changed their business strategy now, as
these new players could hit them where it hurts the most.

Old April 11th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Pete M Williams" [email protected] wrote in message

PlusNet have now put all their eggs into the "n00b" user basket, which has
been fine for the last year for them.

Looks like all these n00b's that joined PlusNet are starting to cause other
problems.
http://www.plus.net/features/news/evolving_world.shtml

"That's why we are setting up a consultancy phone line where the web site
information can be discussed if necessary. We plan to charge 50p per minute
to cover the cost of training our team and providing this service"

So it looks like certain types of support calls will now be passed on to a
Premium rate phone number.

Now all you people still on PlusNet, go on, tell me again why it is such a
good ISP?

Old April 11th 06, 02:44 PM
mrchalk mrchalk is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Crosland
Hi all, new to this forum after doing a bit of research on the dreaded
Plusnet service! Now is it just me that is still restricted on my
usenet allowance after 00:00 when its supposed to be "free". Its now
00:27 and im gettin 0.84kbps. SERIOUSLY thinking about jumping ship -
fast! I have mailed Plusenet but they have given the "we're currently
not experiancing any problems" rubbish. Btw i have a 1.1mb connection
and am on the "premier" (lol) pay monthly account.

What other ISP's have you personal experience of as opposed to hearsay? Do
you think other ISP's don't suffer from problems? What other ISP's provide
an online service information system? Just curious!

Peter Crosland
I have no personal experience of any other ISPs & Im relatively new to usenet services but im not new to knowing when im having the pi$$ taken. This isnt the first time this has happened when i have exceeded my allowance. The person who recommended me to Plusnet (an experienced internet user for over 7 years) left Plusnet for the exact same reason. I have been with Plusnet for a year now but will soon be leaving. The reaction im getting to Plusnet everywhere is that they USED to be good. BTW, I had to wait over 12hrs for 2 tickets to be answered when they were answering within 35mins apparently. Still, i could go on, but i wont. Have you a good word on Plusnet?
Old April 11th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

PlusNet have now put all their eggs into the "n00b" user basket, which
has been fine for the last year for them.

Looks like all these n00b's that joined PlusNet are starting to cause
other problems.
http://www.plus.net/features/news/evolving_world.shtml

"That's why we are setting up a consultancy phone line where the web site
information can be discussed if necessary. We plan to charge 50p per
minute to cover the cost of training our team and providing this service"

So it looks like certain types of support calls will now be passed on to a
Premium rate phone number.

Now all you people still on PlusNet, go on, tell me again why it is such a
good ISP?

What is "n00b"

Peter Crosland

Old April 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
What is "n00b"

newbie

Old April 11th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Pete M Williams wrote:
"Pete M Williams" [email protected] wrote in message

PlusNet have now put all their eggs into the "n00b" user basket,
which has been fine for the last year for them.

Looks like all these n00b's that joined PlusNet are starting to cause
other problems.
http://www.plus.net/features/news/evolving_world.shtml

"That's why we are setting up a consultancy phone line where the web
site information can be discussed if necessary. We plan to charge 50p
per minute to cover the cost of training our team and providing this
service"
So it looks like certain types of support calls will now be passed on
to a Premium rate phone number.

There are an awful lot of words that say very little *before* you reach that
punch line. Wonder how long before all support calls will be premium rate.

Now all you people still on PlusNet, go on, tell me again why it is
such a good ISP?

They used to be, and possibly still are for those who just browse, use
e-mail and perhaps do a bit of shopping, but I went to Zen at the end of
last year, the difference is very noticeable, so cannot comment on the
current status of Plusnet.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old April 11th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

So you have no other experience but just hearsay apparently all from people
who are clearly anti Plusnet. AFAIK the ticket answering time is an average
and not a time that all tickets are answered. What I see is that myself and
the dozen or so people recommended by me have seen the system run without
any major problem for 99.5% of the time over two years. Certainly there have
been outages but so there are with other ISPS. Many other ISPs provide no
cover or feedback at weekends or holidays. What seems to be the problem is
that any difficulties with most other ISPs is hidden from other users so
they seldom know if it is major or not. The penalty for the warts and all
policy.

Peter Crosland