Current best broadband deals?

Old April 11th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

Default Current best broadband deals?

Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

--

jeremy
Old April 11th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

Better deals are available with no setup cost. Why do they need a wireless
router? Are they going to need phone tech support? Virgin have a poor
reputation and their network is actually NTL.

Peter Crosland

Old April 11th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default Current best broadband deals? - Carephone Warehouse?

"Jeremy" wrote in message
et...
Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

See www.cpwpic.com

To Quote:

"Carphone Warehouse today announces its pricing strategy for broadband and
residential telephony in the first 1,000 exchanges it has committed to unbundle,
and the financial impact of this strategy.

Customer offer
For a monthly fee of £9.99, TalkTalk customers will receive:

Unlimited local and national landline calls, 24 hours a day

Unlimited international landline calls to 28 countries, 24 hours a day

Up to 8 Mbps broadband access

This offer is available from today to all customers in all 1,000 exchange areas,
covering nearly 70% of the UK population. If the local exchange has not yet been
unbundled, the customer will initially be connected via BTís wholesale IP Stream
service, and then migrated at a later date at no extra cost to them. The first
customers will go live from the beginning of July 2006.

In addition to the monthly fee, all customers will pay the standard monthly line
rental charge of £11.00."

I presume that you have to provide your own modem/router.

--

Michael Chare

Old April 11th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

unbundled, the customer will initially be connected via BT's wholesale IP
Stream
service, and then migrated at a later date at no extra cost to them. The
first
customers will go live from the beginning of July 2006.

In addition to the monthly fee, all customers will pay the standard
monthly line
rental charge of £11.00."

I presume that you have to provide your own modem/router.

It is not quite as good as it may seem! There are approximately 4800
exchanges it does not cover and the BB is not free on those. Also you have
to choose the most expensive talk plan to get "free" BB. There are better
deals out there with other ISPs. The other thing to be very wary of is that
if you switch your line to TT you have to go through them for any repairs
and they don't provide a 24 hour fault reporting. They don't provide an FOC
expedited repair service if you are elderly or disabled. If you want caller
display it costs another £1.50 per month.

Peter Crosland

Old April 11th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , Peter
Crosland says...
Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

Better deals are available with no setup cost. Why do they need a wireless
router? Are they going to need phone tech support? Virgin have a poor
reputation and their network is actually NTL.

Wireless because they don't' want to set-up a "permanent" workstation
(no computer kit in the house at present) and wireless then means they
have the flexibility to work where they want.

Are you able to give me any indication of who is offering the better
deals?

--

jeremy
Old April 11th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

No doubt - I am looking for the catches!

There are approximately 4800
exchanges it does not cover and the BB is not free on those.

I of course am connected to one ot those!

Also you have
to choose the most expensive talk plan to get "free" BB. There are better
deals out there with other ISPs.

Can you quote an example! A 40GB/month limit for £9.99 including many phone
calls looks quite good. Much less than I am paying now. (About 1/3rd price)

The other thing to be very wary of is that
if you switch your line to TT you have to go through them for any repairs
and they don't provide a 24 hour fault reporting.

That could be an issue

They don't provide an FOC
expedited repair service if you are elderly or disabled. If you want caller
display it costs another £1.50 per month.

Yes, I use that and it is now free on BT

--

Michael Chare

Old April 11th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

Better deals are available with no setup cost. Why do they need a wireless
router? Are they going to need phone tech support? Virgin have a poor
reputation and their network is actually NTL.

Wireless because they don't' want to set-up a "permanent" workstation
(no computer kit in the house at present) and wireless then means they
have the flexibility to work where they want.

Are you able to give me any indication of who is offering the better
deals?

Buying on price alone is seldom the best policy. You need to take other
factors into account. Take a look at

www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/summary.asp

for some guidance. Personally I am quite happy with my Plusnet connection
that runs 24/7 and has only experienced some ten hours downtime in over two
years. That equates to 99.5% uptime which in practical terms is very good
despite the bitching from a few malcontents who seem to expect 100% that not
even systems like banks ATM networks never achieve. Although it may sound
attractive to have the flexibility of wireless connection in practice it may
be illusory. The range of wireless equipment varies considerably so you need
to make sure that whatever router you choose will communicate with the
computer(s) satisfactorily. Without doing some tests you will not be sure
the equipment will work in the particular environment until you actually try
it. There is also the question of having adequate security. Are the users
really going to want to use the machine anywhere and everywhere in the
house? Even if they are considering a laptop in my experience people seldom
use it in more than two locations in a house particularly if they are light
users. Ask yourself if a wired network with a couple of sockets might not be
more realistic.

Peter Crosland

Old April 11th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , Peter
Crosland says...
Although it may sound
attractive to have the flexibility of wireless connection in practice it may
be illusory. The range of wireless equipment varies considerably so you need
to make sure that whatever router you choose will communicate with the
computer(s) satisfactorily.

That's a problem as neither the wireless router nor the pc has yet been
purchased...

Without doing some tests you will not be sure
the equipment will work in the particular environment until you actually try
it.

That is a potential issue - it is an old house with substantial walls
BUT the radius from the pouint where the telephone line comes into the
house and where the router would be placed is probably 15 feet.

There is also the question of having adequate security.

Will enable the encryption and also limit access by MAC address
(assuming this is supported on the devices).

Are the users
really going to want to use the machine anywhere and everywhere in the
house? Even if they are considering a laptop in my experience people seldom
use it in more than two locations in a house particularly if they are light
users. Ask yourself if a wired network with a couple of sockets might not be
more realistic.

Well to make it wired involves drilling and routing cables. Wireless is
so much cleaner (so long as it is reliable...).

I have been using a netgear wireless hub in my home (part wired/part
wireless network) so know a few of the pitfalls.

So ultimately I think the wireless is the way to go....now it's a
question of which ISPs are offering what deals with decent hardware (or
I guess go for the free set-up and buy own wireless router).

--

jeremy
Old April 11th 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

In article , Jeremy
says...
That is a potential issue - it is an old house with substantial walls
BUT the radius from the pouint where the telephone line comes into the
house and where the router would be placed is probably 15 feet.

That's not clear - what I meant was the max distance between the router
and where the PC mght be used is probably 15' (not the distance
between the telephone point and the router)

--

jeremy
Old April 11th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Jeremy" wrote in message t...
Virgin offers a 512kbps (3gb monthly limit) with a wireless router for
£70 set-up and £14.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

Just a quick sanity check - is that a good deal?

It is for a relative who will not be in the least bit demanding (very
light user) and is on a limited budget.

Eclipse option 1 looks like a good deal to me:-
http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?...comparison_res

Free activation, ADSLMax 20GB peak usage limit @ £14.99 per month.

Tell them to keep their free modem and get a router from
ebuyer or amazon.