Faceplates again--groan

Old April 11th 06, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

Default Faceplates again--groan

My present faceplate has the BT Piper logo, but between it and the line,
there is another terminal block. It is about 2-3/4 inches X 1-1/2 inches,
slightly rounded in shape. I think it was the original terminal before BT
added the 'new' faceplate.

If I were to 'legally' fit a new faceplate, could I replace the present one,
seeing that there is another block before the outside line?

Allan

Old April 11th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Allan wrote:

My present faceplate has the BT Piper logo, but between it and the
line, there is another terminal block. It is about 2-3/4 inches X
1-1/2 inches, slightly rounded in shape. I think it was the
original terminal before BT added the 'new' faceplate.

If I were to 'legally' fit a new faceplate, could I replace the
present one, seeing that there is another block before the outside
line?
Allan

I'm not *quite* sure that I understand the question!

BT is responsible for everything up as far as the master socket - including
any intermediate junctions boxes - typically joining external and internal
wiring. You cannot 'legally' touch anything on the exchange side of the
master.

If the master socket is an NTE5 which has a removeable faceplate, there will
be a test socket in the non-removeable part - and a plug on the back of the
faceplate which plugs into this socket. The test socket is your *effective*
interface with BT - so you are allowed to remove the existing faceplate and
replace it with one of your own - such as a filtered ADSL faceplate as sold
by the likes of Solwise and Clarity.

Does that answer the question?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 11th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Allan wrote:

[...]

Hi Roger

It probably does, thanks. However, the faceplate is one-piece and, I erred
earlier, does not bear the 'Piper', but a 'T'. It's pretty old.

I was rather hoping the junction box would be regarded as the boundary,
allowing me to replace the old faceplate. If I do anything, I guess I'll
have to add a complete new box, with fly-lead from the old one.

Thanks

Allan

Old April 11th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:33:17 UTC, "Allan"
wrote:

I was rather hoping the junction box would be regarded as the boundary,
allowing me to replace the old faceplate. If I do anything, I guess I'll
have to add a complete new box, with fly-lead from the old one.

The junction box does, however, make it easy to replace the 'master
socket' with a new one! OK, not strictly kosher, but if done correctly I
doubt that BT will know or care. I did mine and it stayed there for
years until I had Highway fitted and they changed it for the Highway
version (now even that is gone, and the ISDN box replaces it).

If you use a complete new one in addition, you'll end up with two master
sockets. That usually works but might affect the ADSL a bit.

Actually, the cheapest way to make it kosher is probably to change the
master socket yourself. Then ask BT to 'regularise' it for the standard
fee of about 30 quid! They'll come and replace it with exactly the same
thing, but with a BT logo!

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Allan wrote:

Hi Roger

It probably does, thanks. However, the faceplate is one-piece and, I
erred earlier, does not bear the 'Piper', but a 'T'. It's pretty old.

I was rather hoping the junction box would be regarded as the
boundary, allowing me to replace the old faceplate. If I do
anything, I guess I'll have to add a complete new box, with fly-lead
from the old one.
Thanks

Allan

OK - what you've got is an old-style BT integral master socket - which
doesn't have a removeable faceplate. But all is not lost! Have a look at
this Clarity article on how to (legally) add an NTE5 to what you've already
got.
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 13th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

Allan wrote:

[...]

Bob & Roger

Many thanks for your input.