Router and IP address(s)

Old April 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Router and IP address(s)

I just want to make sure that i have the following information correct

I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 modem router

Does routers that support DHCP such as above, give out ip addresss to
computers based on which one was the first to connect to it following
a reboot of the router, if so does the router assign ip addresses
based on the MAC address of the computer that connects to it?

I have gone into my router's setup and reserved ip address so that the
two computers here in the house have the same ip address's permanently
and if anyone else comes with their laptop they are handed out the
next available ip address is this right.

Router's ip address 192.168.0.1
Computer 1 192.168.0.2
Computer 2 192.168.0.3

Next machine to connect will be assigned 192.168.0.4
If the router was rebooted or lost power for what ever reason does it
mean that the router won't hand out reserved ip address's to a machine
that has connected to it before a reserved machine.

is the above correct?

Thanks in advance

Old April 11th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

[...]

Probably. But if you want to make absolutely sure, why not give the first 2
PCs fixed IP addresses. They won't then need to ask the router for one. At
the same time, restrict the address range which the DHCP bit of the router
dishes out so as not to overlap with the fixed addresses which you have
assigned.

Personally, unless I had lots of different PCs which needed to connect at
different times, I wouldn't use DHCP at all - but would (and do!) assign
fixed addresses to everything.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 11th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nut

wrote:
I just want to make sure that i have the following information correct

I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 modem router

Does routers that support DHCP such as above, give out ip addresss to
computers based on which one was the first to connect to it following
a reboot of the router, if so does the router assign ip addresses
based on the MAC address of the computer that connects to it?

Pretty much, but it's not guaranteed.

I have gone into my router's setup and reserved ip address so that the
two computers here in the house have the same ip address's permanently
and if anyone else comes with their laptop they are handed out the
next available ip address is this right.

Router's ip address 192.168.0.1
Computer 1 192.168.0.2
Computer 2 192.168.0.3

Next machine to connect will be assigned 192.168.0.4
If the router was rebooted or lost power for what ever reason does it
mean that the router won't hand out reserved ip address's to a machine
that has connected to it before a reserved machine.

is the above correct?

No.

Once a router has been rebooted the first PC to talk to it will get the
first IP in the DHCP pool.

You should assign static IP's to Comp1 & 2, leaving DHCP for the guests.

Change the DHCP range on the router to start at - for example - 101 (up to
say 150) ... so :

PC1 has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2
PC2 has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.3

Guests start at 192.168.0.101

This will enable you to set up port forwarding rules for the static
computers... for game servers, peer to peer, ftp server, etc.

There is no reason why all your home computers should be on DHCP. Keep DHCP
for guest logins and use static addresses for all your permanent machines.

Old April 11th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

wrote:

: I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 modem router

: Does routers that support DHCP such as above, give out ip addresss to
: computers based on which one was the first to connect to it following
: a reboot of the router, if so does the router assign ip addresses
: based on the MAC address of the computer that connects to it?

The router assigns the first machine to connect after a reboot to the first
address of the "Start IP range" set in the "LAN setup" menu - but it won't
give "reserved addresses" to the wrong systems!
Even for non-reserved systems the router stores their MAC addresses
and will reassign them the same IP address if a system goes away and comes
back (but not over a reboot or DHCP lease "expiry").

Having a "Address reservation" setup in "LAN setup" will ALWAYS assign
that MAC address a particular IP address (this is constant over reboots).

: I have gone into my router's setup and reserved ip address so that the
: two computers here in the house have the same ip address's permanently
: and if anyone else comes with their laptop they are handed out the
: next available ip address is this right.

Yes.

: Next machine to connect will be assigned 192.168.0.4
: If the router was rebooted or lost power for what ever reason does it
: mean that the router won't hand out reserved ip address's to a machine
: that has connected to it before a reserved machine.

Yes - the reserved addresses won't be handed out via DHCP except to the
system(s) with the correct MAC addresses.