number portability

Old April 11th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

Default number portability

i am the guy who asked a question a few weeks ago who lives in New York with
have a flat in Central London who just moved a few hundred yards away. I
need to retain the number we have had for fifty years and naturally BT won't
cooperate.

I had OneTel in the UK and they make it pretty impossible to contact them,
though I am sure they will transfer the number for me if the request comes
through a VoIP service

As was advised here, I can sign up to Vonage in the UK and THEY NOW CONFIRM
that I can bring my router over to New York and connect it up here in series
with my US Vonage router and pick up all my calls to my old number from New
York

However they report problems with number portability. They say they do not
know when these will be resolved. Does anyone know what is going on or when
I will be able to do this with Vonage or whether there is another VoIP co in
the UK I can do all this with AND bring my telephone number with me? Or
isn't this a possibility in the UK yet? (If so, how do I maintain my UK
telephone number and prevent BT from giving it out to someone else?)

Old April 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

news.rcn.com expressed precisely :
[...]

I do not believe anyone does number portability for VOIP yet, there is
no requirement on anyone to do it and I am sure no one has set up the
process.

Old April 11th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

ACDeag wrote:

I do not believe anyone does number portability for VOIP yet, there is
no requirement on anyone to do it and I am sure no one has set up the
process.

Gradwell do number portability from BT - see:- http://www.gradwell.com/voip/

London numbers are in the range available for port.
Old April 11th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Colin Forrester submitted this idea :
ACDeag wrote:

I do not believe anyone does number portability for VOIP yet, there is no
requirement on anyone to do it and I am sure no one has set up the process.

Gradwell do number portability from BT - see:- http://www.gradwell.com/voip/

London numbers are in the range available for port.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Old April 12th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

ACDeag wrote:

I do not believe anyone does number portability for VOIP yet, there is
no requirement on anyone to do it and I am sure no one has set up the
process.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numport/mod/

basically there is a requirement to "do it" irrespective of technology
etc. There was an interim ruling to that effect last November.

Phil

Old April 12th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com
ACDeag wrote:

I do not believe anyone does number portability for
VOIP yet, there is no requirement on anyone to do it
and I am sure no one has set up the process.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numport/mod/

basically there is a requirement to "do it" irrespective
of technology etc. There was an interim ruling to that
effect last November.

Phil

You can make a ruling that the sun mustn't shine at midday, that isn't
going to make it happen..!

Ivor

Old April 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

Default Many thanks Colin!

You can make a ruling that the sun mustn't shine at midday, that isn't
going to make it happen..!

Ivor

Although I agree with you that BT would try to make things as difficult as
possible to do this, I have to report that in New York the same thing
happened and all the Telcos were pretty much immediately forced to comply.
The problem in England is that BT can stall anyone any length of time they
want before implementing this service. Lord knows how Gladwell managed to
do it, but they must be picking up a gigantic amount of business now if
they are the only company which lets you use VoIP service with your old
number while others only promise to let you do this at some unspecified time
in the future. I am already in contact with their customer service (which
responded to my enquiry immediately Colin told me about it) and am certainly
signing up with them as soon as is conceivably possible!

Let's see how easy this is in practice.

Old April 12th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

Does anyone know if there is any difference between Gradwell and Voipfone?

The latter seems to offer various options for users such as lower cost
mobile phone usage using your mobile phone number and their system. Not
sure I believe this, though it looks reasonable enough: "They all use clever
tricks that enable Voipfone to set up your call for you then call you back -
instantly"

And they SEEM to be trying to replicate the skype service in some
unspecified way. the bit of their site which tries to explain this
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FP_Voipfon..._Customers.php seems to
be exceptionally confusing to someone like me who has been using VoIP for
sometime now and who also uses skype if it is blurring the distinction
between the two. Or is it adding a service?

Old April 12th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote:

Lord knows how Gladwell managed to
do it, but they must be picking up a gigantic amount of business now if
they are the only company which lets you use VoIP service with your old
number while others only promise to let you do this at some unspecified
time in the future. I am already in contact with their customer service
(which responded to my enquiry immediately Colin told me about it) and am
certainly signing up with them as soon as is conceivably possible!

It's Gradwell actually. It all depends on who supplies your VoIP company
with backhaul. Magrathea will port 020 numbers pretty easily. If you want
to port anything else, you have to pay [on every incoming call] per-hop
from the area code of the number you're porting, to London. Be aware that
that last paragraph is a wild guess.

Let's see how easy this is in practice.

If it was as easy as you think it appears to be, everyone would be doing it!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:30:12 up 11 days, 3:19, 2 users, load average: 0.30, 0.14, 0.10

Old April 12th 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

news.rcn.com wrote:
You can make a ruling that the sun mustn't shine at midday, that isn't
going to make it happen..!

Ivor

Lord knows how Gladwell managed to
do it, but they must be picking up a gigantic amount of business now if
they are the only company which lets you use VoIP service with your old
number.

It's Gradwell, Gladwell was one of the people who designed the Delta Wing.

They can do it because they pay for the transit of the call to london
(which is why it is only available locally to London).

There are other providers that support this eg. VOIPtalk.