Central splitter question

Old April 11th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Default Central splitter question

Is there any electrical difference between a "central splitter" which is
connected to the master socket with two outlets one giving adsl and the
other giving a "clean feed" to ALL the other phones in the house, and a
normal splitter as given with a broadband router?

Is there any reason why I should not install a single ordinary (good
quality) splitter at the master socket and then use its "clean feed" to
serve all the phones, Sky boxes, oil modems, etc. in the house and it's adsl
feed to the adsl router?

This would seem to be much easier that putting a splitter on each device,
with the minor disadvantage of having two runs from the master socket, but
have I missed something more basic?

Thanks,

--
Rob.

Old April 12th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Rob
writes
Is there any electrical difference between a "central splitter" which is
connected to the master socket with two outlets one giving adsl and the
other giving a "clean feed" to ALL the other phones in the house, and a
normal splitter as given with a broadband router?

Is there any reason why I should not install a single ordinary (good
quality) splitter at the master socket and then use its "clean feed" to
serve all the phones, Sky boxes, oil modems, etc. in the house and it's adsl
feed to the adsl router?

This would seem to be much easier that putting a splitter on each device,
with the minor disadvantage of having two runs from the master socket, but
have I missed something more basic?

Thanks,

Nope.

Just make sure that the filter you use on the master is of decent
quality (faceplate type is good), and the cable is decent quality
twisted pair. If you want a phone on the same socket as the broadband
router, then just add a filter there as well.

I operate with the master socket in the loft. Filter on there feeds
"filtered" dialtone to the other three phones in the house. Unfiltered
(ADSL) side goes down to the study.

A second plug-in type filter on that leg feeds the Router (with ADSL)
and the DECT base station in the study.

All works fine.

Regards

--
Peter R Cook
Old April 12th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Rob wrote:
Is there any electrical difference between a "central splitter" which
is connected to the master socket with two outlets one giving adsl
and the other giving a "clean feed" to ALL the other phones in the
house, and a normal splitter as given with a broadband router?

It's worked for me for the last few years.

Tim

Old April 12th 06, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Rob" wrote in message
Is there any electrical difference between a "central splitter" which is
connected to the master socket with two outlets one giving adsl and the
other giving a "clean feed" to ALL the other phones in the house, and a
normal splitter as given with a broadband router?

Is there any reason why I should not install a single ordinary (good
quality) splitter at the master socket and then use its "clean feed" to
serve all the phones, Sky boxes, oil modems, etc. in the house and it's
adsl feed to the adsl router?

This would seem to be much easier that putting a splitter on each device,
with the minor disadvantage of having two runs from the master socket, but
have I missed something more basic?

I have one bog standard micro filter feeding the broadband modem on one side
and a daisy chain of three phones on the other. Been working fine since I
installed it about three years ago.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 12th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Thanks for your replies so far.

I have no less than 5 telephones and 3 saellite boxes (three milesfrom the
exchange) so I'd guess that I am putting quite a strain on the capacitor or
whatever is in the filter but it has always seemed a bit stupid to have 8
filters when a home only really needs one (which can be of much better
quality)!

With the arrival of 8 Meg I thought that it might be best to get the adsl
signal as near to the input to the home as possible hence my question. I
sync at 7Meg and get a 4Meg connection by the way.

Thanks,

--
Rob.

Old April 12th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Rob" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies so far.

I have no less than 5 telephones and 3 saellite boxes (three milesfrom the
exchange) so I'd guess that I am putting quite a strain on the capacitor
or whatever is in the filter but it has always seemed a bit stupid to have
8 filters when a home only really needs one (which can be of much better
quality)!

With the arrival of 8 Meg I thought that it might be best to get the adsl
signal as near to the input to the home as possible hence my question. I
sync at 7Meg and get a 4Meg connection by the way.

I don't know about the strain on the filter, but aren't you over the maximum
REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) for a single line. I seem to remember that
the max is 4 and most phones are rated at 1. I exceeded it once and the
phones stopped ringing.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 12th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:54:33 UTC, "Keith Willcocks"
wrote:

I don't know about the strain on the filter, but aren't you over the maximum
REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) for a single line. I seem to remember that
the max is 4 and most phones are rated at 1. I exceeded it once and the
phones stopped ringing.

Most modern equipment has an REN of (effectively) a fraction of 1. It's
just that the testing regime works in integers. These days, you can put
a lot of phones on one line! (or so I'm told, I have a PBX at home!)
euthanasia recommended. ]