RJ11 lead pin connections - from Phone to PAP2 ??

Old April 12th 06, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

Default RJ11 lead pin connections - from Phone to PAP2 ??

Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?

Are the leads straight through (pin 1 - pin 1 etc) or are the
connections crossed over (pin 1 - pin 4 and pin 2 - pin3 etc).

Many thanks.

Dukat.

Old April 12th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Gul Dukat wrote:
Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?

get an RJ11 plug to BT socket adaptor with ring capacitor.
http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=679 (out of
stock, but makes the point).

Are the leads straight through (pin 1 - pin 1 etc) or are the
connections crossed over (pin 1 - pin 4 and pin 2 - pin3 etc).

that depends entirely on the phone. Best to use its original lead and
adapt.

It is likely to be either 3&4 on the phone or 2&5 numbered out of 6.
(middle two or next two out)

Phil

Old April 12th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Gul Dukat:
Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?

Are the leads straight through (pin 1 - pin 1 etc) or are the
connections crossed over (pin 1 - pin 4 and pin 2 - pin3 etc).

Many thanks.

Dukat.

The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of the UK phone
plug/socket.

Note your phones may be designed for UK use only and without the ring
capacitor of the master socket or the leads you can buy, the phone may not
sound it's ringer, not usually a problem with cordless, though some base
stations still require the capacitor.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 12th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:13:27 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of the UK phone
plug/socket.

Hi and thanks.

What I am trying to do is replace the UK cable on my phone with an
RJ11 to RJ11 cable. The socket on the phone is RJ11 and the lead that
came with it is RJ11 on one end (phone) and BT plug on the other.

It does work fine using a BT (female) to RJ11 plug adapter at the PAP2
end.

I had thought it would be neater if I used a RJ11 - RJ11 cable to do
the job and do away with the adapter.

Any comments?
Old April 12th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

news
wrote:

The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of
the UK phone plug/socket.

Hi and thanks.

What I am trying to do is replace the UK cable on my
phone with an RJ11 to RJ11 cable. The socket on the phone
is RJ11 and the lead that came with it is RJ11 on one end
(phone) and BT plug on the other.

Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
will do the job perfectly well.

It does work fine using a BT (female) to RJ11 plug
adapter at the PAP2 end.

So you already have one.

I had thought it would be neater if I used a RJ11 - RJ11
cable to do the job and do away with the adapter.

Any comments?

Yes, don't bother. If your phone requires the ring capacitor in the
adaptor, it won't ring without it.

Ivor

Old April 12th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:53:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
will do the job perfectly well.

Because as a tight-arsed Radio Ham you should already know the answer
to this question. I have the parts to make up this cable.

So you already have one.

Yes, but it belongs to another piece of equipment that I shall be
parting with shortly.

I asked for advice on making a connection, not your opinion on what
'you think' might be best for me. If you are incapable of providing
the technical information in an unbiased manner then STFU.

Dukat.

Old April 13th 06, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote:

Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
will do the job perfectly well.

Because as a tight-arsed Radio Ham you should already know the answer
to this question. I have the parts to make up this cable.

So you already have one.

Yes, but it belongs to another piece of equipment that I shall be
parting with shortly.

I asked for advice on making a connection, not your opinion on what
'you think' might be best for me. If you are incapable of providing
the technical information in an unbiased manner then STFU.

Dukat.

Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
capacitor thing is a separate problem.
73 Nick
Old April 13th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:29:41 +0300, Nick
wrote:

Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
capacitor thing is a separate problem.
73 Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'll do some checking.

Cheers,

Dukat.

Old April 13th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Nick wrote:

Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
capacitor thing is a separate problem.
73 Nick

Just to make life even more interesting, some BT branded phones have
this arrangement. Strangely I think this conversation is better off in
uk.telecom. (yes I know a PAP2 is a voip device).