Switching ISP's - MAC method or just cancel old ISP

Old April 12th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default Switching ISP's - MAC method or just cancel old ISP

I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

Thanks

Clive

Old April 12th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Clive laid this down on his screen :
I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

Thanks

Clive

You would find this difficult, unless you're prepared to have a brand
new line installed, or a period of no internet access.

In order to have a new ISP activate broadband on your line, you will
have to have it ceased by plusnet. This is not an instananeous process
- which is why migration was designed.

Old April 12th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:14:44 UTC, "Clive" wrote:

I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

Unless you want to be offline for an unspecified number of days (call
this N), go for a MAC. N can vary between 7 and 14, or even more.
PlusNet pull the plug, you wait for BT's systems to record the fact
(assuming PN tell them immediately), then a new install is requested and
takes days to implement.

With a MAC, the break is almost unnoticeable in many cases (apart from
reconfiguration at your end).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 12th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Apr 2006 18:14, "Clive" wrote:

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

Did you join on the "you stay, we pay" scheme (where you had no 50+VAT fee
to pay for activation) ? If so, then with Plus.Net it goes down by 20% a
year, so they may still want 40 +VAT (I believe it was from September 05
that the fee reduced to 40+VAT at BT and while I'd have suggested PN do
a more sensible thing, make the timescale 48 months from 60 and drop a
tenner +VAT each year, they kept it all on the same 5 years + 20%/yr
basis, unfortunately).

As for cease instead of migrate, yes, that's a possibility, but beware there
are many ISPs which will require either the activation fee of 40 + VAT (and
perhaps a bit more), or lock you into their 12 month contract, and there's
also a delay from the 'cease' to the BT database saying your line can get
ADSL on it (the old ADSL shows as an "incompatible product" for a while)
whilst a migration from your current ISP to a new one is often free (or
if there is a fee, it should be below 15+VAT as BTW charges 11.00+VAT,
as far as I know)... and the switch from one to other might be as short
a break in service as under an hour, to 15-20 hours, depending on when
the old ISP disconnects you and the new one allows you to go online.
Old April 12th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Clive wrote:

I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be
easier to cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my
existing account is 12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with
no charges.)
Thanks

Clive

AIUI, if you do that you will have to pay a connection fee to your new ISP -
whereas many ISP will do migrations for free. You're also likely to suffer a
longer break in service.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:14:44 +0100, "Clive" wrote:

I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

Use the MAC code if you can. When I cancelled ADSL on a line it took 8
weeks before it was correctly cancelled so that I could order service
from another ISP...

Even when a cancel and reprovide works well you are still talking
about days of no service.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.gigajam.com/
Old April 12th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Clive wrote:

I'm looking to switch from Plusnet - to a yet undecided ISP.

I'm aware of such a thing as a Migration code, but wouldn't it be easier to
cancel my account and just go to another ISP (as my existing account is
12mths old in June - allowing my to cancel with no charges.)

I'd strongly recommend that you do not go down the cease and reprovide
route if you can avoid it.

My experience is that when a customer does this they often suffer delays
of 3 or more weeks during which they have no Internet connection.

The MAC facilitated migration route works very well and means little
interruption to service. I don't know of any of our customers who had a
problem getting a MAC from Plusnet.

There are many ISPs offering deals to those wanting to migrate over (we're
one of them - free migration, 1 month contract) so you should find
migration saves you money as well.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Old April 13th 06, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:31:29 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Unless you want to be offline for an unspecified number of days (call this
N), go for a MAC. N can vary between 7 and 14, or even more.

That's a bit optimistic, it was 21 days for me in February. Roughly half
was waiting for the marker to be cleared from the line. The new ISP then
starts from scratch.