dsl 300t

Old April 12th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default dsl 300t

hi
i have a d link dsl 300t ethernet adsl modem, and i cant seem to access
its setup pages.
the manual tells u to plug it in, and type its ip into iexplore, but i
just get the message "web page unavalible whilst offline"
also if i set my tcp/ip settings to "automaticly detect ip address" i
get the bubble kindly informing me that i have limited or no
conectivity. So i have set the ip, subnet mask and gatway to wat it
should be and this got rid of the error. i did enable the DHCP watsit
but the fact still remains that i cannot access the modem itself throug
internet explorer. I cant think of what to try next, ive tryed useing a
diffrent network card so its not that. the modem is brand new so its
not that either.

any help much appretiated

simon

Old April 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JimmyGulp

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:31:20 -0700, siwells1000000 wrote:

hi
i have a d link dsl 300t ethernet adsl modem, and i cant seem to access
its setup pages.
the manual tells u to plug it in, and type its ip into iexplore, but i
just get the message "web page unavalible whilst offline"

I also have the DSL-300T, quite a nice modem. You should first try and do
the "hardware reset" thing (power up with a thin stick in the little hole
around the back), that'll reset it to default settings, which will enable
the DHCP server in the modem.

I think my modem came with 2 network cables. If one isn't working, try the
other, its wired differently. To get windows to get a new IP, first,
wait a moment for the modem to boot up, then, go to Start, Run, "cmd",
then do "ifconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew". It should give you
an IP after a couple of momemnts. If it still doesn't, try setting your IP
manually in windows.

eg, if the manual says to point IE at 192.168.0.1, set your ip as
192.168.0.15 (netmask 255.255.255.0). Don't set the default gateway. Then
try and connect. (You may want to try both network cables again).

If you still don't get anywhere, get a friend to try it with their
computer, if that still doesn't work, take it back for a replacement /
testing.

I will say though, that if you plan on keeping your computer on 24x7, and
using BitTorrent, or a similar P2P network, you'll need to reboot the
modem every couple of days. This is due to it having a limited number of
connections it can keep a hold of. You can change a setting to make it
last longer, but we can leave that for another day

Hope this helps

Jimmy
Old April 13th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:47:27 +0100, JimmyGulp wrote:

I will say though, that if you plan on keeping your computer on 24x7, and
using BitTorrent, or a similar P2P network, you'll need to reboot the
modem every couple of days. This is due to it having a limited number of
connections it can keep a hold of.

That's pretty bad.

There is no reason for a modem like this to keep track of connections
(unless it's in some alternative NAT mode). I have an X-Modem, which is a
similar product, and the main reason I got it was because of all the
problems I'd had with my router and p2p.
Old April 14th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JimmyGulp

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:06:49 +0000, Bob wrote:

That's pretty bad.

Yes, it is.

There is no reason for a modem like this to keep track of connections
(unless it's in some alternative NAT mode).

It does some odd NAT with bridging stuff. I'm not sure why. If I get
another dsl modem in future, I may see what I can break in it to make it
work nicer. Some of the older firmwares for the device also do
firewalling, which is probably where the whole NAT thing comes in.

If you're running linux on the machine connected to the modem, I have a
perl script that I run once a day to set the connection tracking from the
pitiful 4096 that it is by default to a managable number of 65335 (64k).
It just means that it lasts longer. I was working on a script to reboot
the modem, then set these details, but got side tracked

You can find the script he http://jimmygulp.co.uk/software/dsl-300.dsl

Jimmy
Old April 14th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

thank for the ideas, irl give them a try sometime