Faceplates New Query

Old April 13th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Default Faceplates New Query

Lash wrote:
my mastersocket looks like a NTE5 but is very old
and has a T in the top right corner and not the piper logo
If I take off the removable faceplate it is as decribed in previous
threads but has a Orange and white wire coming out of the back
and connecting to the removable faceplate on no3 connection.

Could someone enlighten me as to what this mastersocket is

Lash

The orange/white is the bell wire used on extension wiring
only. A true BT master would have the blue/white pair of
the extension wiring connected to the faceplate as well.

It's possible that someone has wired this as an extension
socket - if so, you would probably find the blue/white pair
connected to the A/B screw terminals where the BT line is
normally connected. The cable would go to another master
socket somewhere else.

The true BT Master normally has an orange wire and a white
wire on the Line terminals.
Old April 13th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Have a look here

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Old April 13th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Lash wrote:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:46:13 +0100, JW wrote:

Lash wrote:

[...]

This Master Socket fitted when this type of socket first came out by
BT or whatever it was called then,prior to this the phone was hard
wired into a small brown box that came in from the phone wires from
the pole in the road.

The engineer extended the wires from the small brown box to this
master which is three pieces,there are no other wires connected
other than by a plug into the front leading to the phone and router,I
removed the front to plug the router direct into the master as have
been having problems with it disconnecting then I saw the orange and
white wire connected to the removeable plate and wondered why

Lash

OK, the installer must have extended from the (small, brown)
junction box using standard internal telephone cable, and
connected the orange/white wire out of habit: though doing
no harm, it would only serve a purpose if connected to
another socket, or perhaps if the old fixed-wire telephone
had been left connected to the junction box.

It sounds OK, but it's not quite a standard installation.