UK broadband vs civil unrest in India...

Old April 13th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default UK broadband vs civil unrest in India...

I got this email yesterday, stating:

"Dear Be-ing,

As you are aware, the majority of our Be agents in our call centre are
based in India. We have just been informed that there is a 24 hour
government enforced curfew in Bangalore due to local civil unrest and,
as a result, we are unable to handle any calls or tickets from there as
of 5.30pm today. [...]"

any other ISPs affected?

--
cheers, Thomas
http://DeliCast.com - Internet TV and radio stations

Old April 13th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got this email yesterday, stating:

"Dear Be-ing,

As you are aware, the majority of our Be agents in our call centre are
based in India. We have just been informed that there is a 24 hour
government enforced curfew in Bangalore due to local civil unrest and,
as a result, we are unable to handle any calls or tickets from there as
of 5.30pm today. [...]"

any other ISPs affected?

Don't know about ISP's but we cannot get through to the insurance company
AXA. Have they got an Indian call centre I wonder?
--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 13th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got this email yesterday, stating:

"Dear Be-ing,

As you are aware, the majority of our Be agents in our call centre are
based in India. We have just been informed that there is a 24 hour
government enforced curfew in Bangalore due to local civil unrest and,
as a result, we are unable to handle any calls or tickets from there as
of 5.30pm today. [...]"

any other ISPs affected?

--
cheers, Thomas

Bit of a mess: -

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...nG=Search+News

Someone forgot to analyse political risk properly when deciding to locate
there...

Old April 13th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Someone forgot to analyse political risk properly when deciding to locate
there...

The businesses are being reported as shutting as a mark of respect during
the state funeral of Rajkumar. It may be their staff can't actually get
in to work due to the amount of people on the streets, but surely that's
hardly political unrest?

Mike
Old April 13th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Farouq

The unrest was caused by fans of an Indian actor who recently died.

I'm not sure why the fans found it necessary to start a riot.

Old April 13th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Farouq wrote:
The unrest was caused by fans of an Indian actor who recently died.

I'm not sure why the fans found it necessary to start a riot.

Pleasure ?

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 13th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Mike Civil" wrote in message
In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Someone forgot to analyse political risk properly when deciding to locate
there...

The businesses are being reported as shutting as a mark of respect during
the state funeral of Rajkumar. It may be their staff can't actually get
in to work due to the amount of people on the streets, but surely that's
hardly political unrest?

Mike

If you followed the link to news in Google there were loads of reports of
"Bangalore burns" etc. Small selection below.

==============
Expressindia.comBangalore Burns: In Pix
Expressindia.com, India - 2 hours ago
New Delhi, April 13: The death of actor Rajkumar provoked the people of
Bangalore and those coming from outside to riot. Whether ...
'Undeclared bandh' in Bangalore Sify
all 3 related
Open letter to Bangalore CM
Financial Express, India - 3 hours ago
.... kidnapped by Veerapan and the attack against Tamilians in Karnataka can
also not be left out from this list of disturbances taking place in
Bangalore, with not ...
Posted online: Thursday, April 13, 2006 at 1322 hours IST Financial Express
all 3 related

BBC NewsBangalore pays last respects to Dr Raj
Rediff, India - 5 hours ago
.... came in a steady stream and bowed in respect in front of the body which
lay in state at the Kanteerava Stadium in the heart of Bangalore since
Wednesday night. ...
Bangalore situation brought under control NDTV.com
Mourners turn violent in Bangalore NDTV.com
Bangalo Rajkumar Rampage - One Dead Daijiworld.com
Earthtimes.org - siliconindia.com - all 61 related

BBC NewsMourners turn violent in Bangalore
NDTV.com, India - 7 hours ago
Police in Bangalore had to resort to lathicharge and fire tear gas at unruly
crowds gathered at the Kanteevara Stadium, where the body of actor Rajkumar
is ...
Bangalore Shuts Down, Mourning Death of South Indian Actor Bloomberg
Indiantelevision.com's News Headlines Entertainment networks off ...
Indiantelevision.com
Actor's death sparks riots in Bangalore Gulf Times
Daijiworld.com - Herald News Daily - all 114 related
Rajkumar fans turn violent in Bangalore
Hindustan Times, India - 7 hours ago
Police resorted to mild lathicharge and burst teargas shells near the
Kanteerava stadium in Bangalore on Thursday as it became virtually
uncontrollable to ...
FUNERAL AT KANTEERAVA STUDIOS AT 5 PM TODAY Star of Mysore
all 2 related
Rajkumar's death sparks violence in Bangalore
Hindu, India - 12 hours ago
BANGALO Kannada thespian Rajkumar's death triggered violence and
disrupted normal life in Bangalore on Wednesday. The police ...
Rajkumar's death sparks violence in Bangalore Hindu
all 3 related

NewKerala.comOne killed as Bangalore logs out to mourn Rajkumar(LEAD)
DailyIndia.com, NY - 1 hour ago
Bangalore, April 13 (IANS) One person was killed in police firing Thursday
as anguished crowds mourning the death of Kannada thespian Rajkumar swarmed
the city ...
Bangalore logs out to mourn Rajkumar Newindpress (subscription)
One killed as Bangalore logs out to mourn Rajkumar NewKerala.com
Bangalore logs out to mourn Rajkumar DailyIndia.com
NewKerala.com - all 6 related

Daijiworld.comBangalo Life in Disarray ahead of Rajkumar Funeral - Fans
Lathi ...
Daijiworld.com, India - 6 hours ago
Bangalore, Apr 13 (1-15 pm IST): While thousands mourn the loss of Kannada
superstar Dr Rajkumar, his fans are pouring in from all parts of the state
to catch ...
Bangalo State Funeral Likely for Rajkumar - Mourning Fans ...
Daijiworld.com
all 3 related

RediffRajkumar fans turn violent in Bangalore, one killed
Zee News, India - 2 hours ago
Bangalore, Apr 13: One person was killed in police firing after frenzied
fans of Rajkumar resorted to violence here today. The incident ...
Rajkumar rampage: 1 dead Rediff
One killed in police firing during violence by Rajkumar fans Hindu
One killed in Bangalore police firing Times of India
all 8 related
Newcomers prefer Bangalore`s CBD
Business Standard, India - 22 hours ago
The Bangalore's Central Business District (CBD) remains the most attractive
and suitable real estate destination for new firms entering Bangalore, the

Bangalo Karnataka Deputy CM Injured by Angry Mobs
Daijiworld.com, India - 1 hour ago
Bangalore, April 13: Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa suffered
a minor injury on Thursday when his car was stoned by an angry crowd as it
entered ...

UPDATE 1-NBC Capital Q1 earnings fall, cuts 2006 EPS view
Reuters - 33 minutes ago
.... over 1 percent to $21.86 in morning trade on the American Stock
Exchange. (Reporting by Sweta Singh and Varsha Tickoo in Bangalore).
TABLE-New York Times Q1 earnings fall Reuters
UPDATE 1-Datalink posts 1st-quarter profit, shares rise on Inet Reuters
all 3 related
Mobs rampage in Indian tech city after actor dies
Reuters - 3 hours ago
BANGALORE, India (Reuters) - Mobs torched buses, attacked company offices
and stoned police on the streets of India's technology hub on Thursday ahead
of the ...

Old April 13th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Farouq wrote:
The unrest was caused by fans of an Indian actor who recently died.

I'm not sure why the fans found it necessary to start a riot.

Pleasure ?

It seems that this is not all uncommon, in many countries "grief" turns to
violence.
Very odd.

There again, how many times does a wake turn into a punch up over here?
One assumes though that in Bangalore alcohol doesn't play a part!

--
Rob.

Old April 13th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
If you followed the link to news in Google there were loads of reports of
"Bangalore burns" etc. Small selection below.

much snippage

That all describes crowd unrest. There's no mention of politics that I
could see.

Mike
Old April 13th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unknown

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:54:20 -0700, tlendz wrote:

I got this email yesterday, stating:

"Dear Be-ing,

As you are aware, the majority of our Be agents in our call centre are
based in India. We have just been informed that there is a 24 hour
government enforced curfew in Bangalore due to local civil unrest and, as
a result, we are unable to handle any calls or tickets from there as of
5.30pm today. [...]"

any other ISPs affected?

lol, so thats why we got put straight throught to the glasgow dell support
team when we called them today.