Livebox with 98? Any experience

Old April 14th 06, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default Livebox with 98? Any experience

Has anyone used Livebox with 98? I have two PCs one with XP and the other
with 98
I have successfully downloaded Livebox to the XP but it fails with 98 The
web site says that it is compatible with 98 but when I phoned the help line
I was told that it wasn't
Anyone else with this experience?
Blair

Old April 14th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
Has anyone used Livebox with 98? I have two PCs one with XP and the other
with 98
I have successfully downloaded Livebox to the XP but it fails with 98 The
web site says that it is compatible with 98 but when I phoned the help
line
I was told that it wasn't
Anyone else with this experience?
Blair

The livebox is just a glorified (or unglorified) wireless router.

Windows 98, with a network card (the back port looks like an oversized
telephone connection, will work without *any* configuration, no disk is
needed.

If the setup wizard, needed to put your account details into the livebox
fail, then you can connect to the router the regular way, by putting in its
ip address into internet explorer. (to find the ip address of the livebox,
assuming your win98 computer is connected, go to start run, and type
winipcfg somewhere it should tell you the default gateway, usually
192.168.1.1, type this into ie, http://192.168.1.1

If you are trying to use a wireless connection, and having problems, try
doing it wired first. Any wireless device would work it doesnt need to be a
wanadoo one.

Gaz

Gaz

Old April 15th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help.
First the 98 PC is actually wired to the Livebox.
During the installation process the default gateway was confirmed as
192.168.1.1
When I went to IE I found the Dialup is greyed sp I can't check the gateway.
I then used the XP CD for setting up a network as I had used previously
before I had Livebox and after completing it there was no network
I the used the setup for an internet connection but it only mentioned a
dialup service whereas I have broadband.
Am I misunderstanding how to setup the network?
Blair