8 Mg Broadband From Bulldog

Old April 14th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

Default 8 Mg Broadband From Bulldog

Hi all , just a quick question. I'm on the above service, why is it
when i use the speed touch 330 adsl modem that the isp provides it shows
up as 6.9 megs or sometimes 7.0 megs when i connect (on the 2 little
flashing modem lights in the taskbar I'm talking about) but when I'm
using me netgear wireless router. it always shows up as being connected
at 8049 downstream and 768 upstream, when i goto the netgear settings on
http://192.168.0.1. Strange :-p witch one of the above is correct and
why does the router always display the same 2 numbers?

TIA

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old April 14th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Dj Toonz" wrote in message
Hi all , just a quick question. I'm on the above service, why is it when
i use the speed touch 330 adsl modem that the isp provides it shows up as
6.9 megs or sometimes 7.0 megs when i connect (on the 2 little flashing
modem lights in the taskbar I'm talking about) but when I'm using me
netgear wireless router. it always shows up as being connected at 8049
downstream and 768 upstream, when i goto the netgear settings on
http://192.168.0.1. Strange :-p witch one of the above is correct and why
does the router always display the same 2 numbers?

Because you're probably on an "up to 8mb" service.
Depending on how far you are from your telephone exchange and the wiring in
your house, your speed will suffer. It's possible for the people living
next door to you to only be able to receive 5.5Mb or similar.

Your router shows you at 8049 because that is the speed you are syching to
the exchange at. This shouldn't really change unless you have a problem.
It is not an indication of true speed. Your actual speed will change from
second to second though it appears that your average speed is around the 7Mb
mark.

Old April 14th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:20:05 UTC, "James"
wrote:

Your router shows you at 8049 because that is the speed you are syching to
the exchange at. This shouldn't really change unless you have a problem.
It is not an indication of true speed. Your actual speed will change from
second to second though it appears that your average speed is around the 7Mb
mark.

On a BT connection, there's also the effect of the BT BRAS rate
limiting. If you sync at 8128, you'll be rate limited by BT to 7.12Mb/s.
If you sync at 7968,
you'll actually get 7.0 Mb/s. That's the IP rate, already allowing for
ATM overhead.

Whether this also applies on Bulldog I have no idea.
euthanasia recommended. ]

Old April 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

wrote:

Your router shows you at 8049 because that is the speed you are syching to
the exchange at. This shouldn't really change unless you have a problem.
It is not an indication of true speed. Your actual speed will change from
second to second though it appears that your average speed is around the 7Mb
mark.

On a BT connection, there's also the effect of the BT BRAS rate
limiting. If you sync at 8128, you'll be rate limited by BT to 7.12Mb/s.
If you sync at 7968,
you'll actually get 7.0 Mb/s. That's the IP rate, already allowing for
ATM overhead.

Whether this also applies on Bulldog I have no idea

To add something about the BT line post , bulldog dont use BT lines
forgot to mention that, it's cable & wireless line (dont know if it's
the same thing or not)

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old April 14th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 Apr 2006 15:10, Dj Toonz wrote:

and why does the router always display the same 2 numbers?

Even two routers from the same manufacturer might report (and get)
different results (lower attenuation, higher signal to noise, a
higher speed for your data). If you tried a neighbour's unit
you might come up with a third set of figures. Leave the router
in place if that's working the best, and just keep the speed touch
on a shelf as a backup in case the router dies. Peter M.
Old April 14th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"poster" wrote in message
On 14 Apr 2006 15:10, Dj Toonz wrote:

and why does the router always display the same 2 numbers?

Even two routers from the same manufacturer might report (and get)
different results (lower attenuation, higher signal to noise, a
higher speed for your data). If you tried a neighbour's unit
you might come up with a third set of figures. Leave the router
in place if that's working the best, and just keep the speed touch
on a shelf as a backup in case the router dies. Peter M.

Have you installed the 8M drivers and the registry patch?

Also you need to change one of the settings on the software.

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/330.asp
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/download.../usb%20iso.reg
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/330highspeed.asp

Old April 15th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

"It's Me" wrote in message

"poster" wrote in message
On 14 Apr 2006 15:10, Dj Toonz wrote:

and why does the router always display the same 2 numbers?

Even two routers from the same manufacturer might report (and get)
different results (lower attenuation, higher signal to noise, a
higher speed for your data). If you tried a neighbour's unit
you might come up with a third set of figures. Leave the router
in place if that's working the best, and just keep the speed touch
on a shelf as a backup in case the router dies. Peter M.

Have you installed the 8M drivers and the registry patch?

Also you need to change one of the settings on the software.

The speedtouch is using the highspeed drivers & i have got the registry
patch installed for windows xp , gonna buy a new dsl lead for it because the
old one is rubbish, could having the wires in a mess at the back of the
computer table not help aswell?, also to note about the BT line (Bulldog
use's cable & wireless line instead of BT) dont know if that makes a
differnce) , plus it's a new line see'ing as the property was only built
about 8 months back so i had to have a brand new line installed, also one
last note , the green box for the exchange (i think that's wht it is) seen
load's of BT engeners using it , is right outside my front garden

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old April 16th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 Apr 2006, Dj Toonz wrote:

when I'm using me netgear wireless router. it always shows up as
being connected at 8049 downstream and 768 upstream,

Seen on ADSLguide about different routers giving different speeds:

6.7 Mbit Netgear DG834G v2

5.5 Mbit 3Com Office Connect 3CRWDR100A-72-UK

4.9 Mbit Draytek Vigor 2600G

All those results from the same line. So goes to show that while
the connection might be "rock solid" with some of the more costly
routers, the owners may not always be getting the best speeds...
Old April 16th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

Default ADSL speed, was 8 Mg Broadband From Bulldog

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, poster wrote:

Seen on ADSLguide about different routers giving different speeds:

6.7 Mbit Netgear DG834G v2

5.5 Mbit 3Com Office Connect 3CRWDR100A-72-UK

4.9 Mbit Draytek Vigor 2600G

All those results from the same line. So goes to show that while
the connection might be "rock solid" with some of the more costly
routers, the owners may not always be getting the best speeds...

A URL would be nice - neither google nor I seem to be able to find
that comparison easily - were those figures obtained with just one
specimen of each?

One can get different speeds with different examples of the same model
- indeed, I can get different speeds by just disconnecting ADSL and
reconnecting, without changing anything - so I'm not entirely
overwhelmed by comparisons of just one example from each type, and I'd
like to read for myself just how they were making the above
comparison.

Aside from that kind of difference, it stands to reason that
there's a compromise to be drawn between speed and stability.

It would be a nice idea if the user could configure their router
parameters somehow, so that one could play around with speed versus
stability and make one's own choice? I suspect this isn't a feature
of ADSL, though - I find no configuration option of this kind on mine,
and it looks as if the Max thing at the exchange end is deciding what
speed to use - quite what basis it uses, I don't know, but the upshot
is that I'm normally seeing the router reporting around 6-7dB of local
SNR margin, as if the mechanism is aiming for a speed which will
achieve that. The ADSL connection sometimes breaks a couple of times
during a day - other times it stays up for days without problem - and
I see that the downlink speed varies between about 5M and about 6M
over time.

The instability is not so bad that I'm motivated to move heaven and
earth to improve it; but if there was a simple way to get improved
stability, at some small cost in raw speed, e.g by setting a larger
target minimum SNR, or a somewhat more conservative maximum speed than
what the Max mechanism is choosing, then I'd be willing to try it.

Btw, while reading ADSLguide I found a useful link to
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/maxatm.html
which gives a little bit of detail on how to compare different
kinds of speed information. Again, though, it doesn't go into any
kind of depth about how the Max mechanism chooses rate versus
stability.